To help stop the spread of COVID-19, the CBU campus is closed to the general public. For information on CBU's full response to COVID-19 visit, www.cbu.ca/covid19.
Animal Care Committee
The CBU Animal Care Committee (ACC) is responsible for:
- Ensuring that animal care and use procedures at CBU comply with CCAC guidelines
- Evaluating animal use protocols to determine their ethical acceptability
- Ensuring that due consideration is given to the ethics of animal experimentation by all those involved
and has the authority to:
- Stop any objectionable procedure if it considers that unnecessary distress or pain is being experienced by an animal
- Stop immediately any use of animals which deviates from the approved use, any no-approved procedure, or any procedure causing unforeseen pain or distress to animals.
- Have an animal killed humanely if pain or distress to the animal cannot be alleviated.
The ACC reports to the Vice-President, Academic through the Office of Research & Graduate Studies.
Terms of Reference in (PDF).
2016 – 2017 CBU Animal Care Committee Members
- Katherine Jones (Chair)
- Dana Mount (ACC Coordinator)
- Nicole MacDougall (Incoming ACC Coordinator)
- Byron Buick (Veterinarian)
- Margaret Dechman (Non-Animal User member)
- Kellie White (Lab Instructor Member)
- Kathy MacIntosh (Lab Instructor Member)
- Sandy Anthony (Community Representative)
- Ken Oakes (Biology Faculty Member)
- Ryan Lewis (Student Member)
© 2020 Cape Breton University