Nominations now open for new Alumni Association Board Members:
The Alumni Association is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors elected from among the alumni body, through a criteria-based nomination and selection process. Nominations are assessed by the CBUAA Board of Directors Nomination Committee and recommended candidates are presented to the board for approval and brought forward to the membership at the Annual General Meeting.
The Board seeks competencies and diversity that will contribute to effective governance and broad representation across the full population of the alumni body. Candidates are selected on a number of skills and experience and shall include representation from: various class years, degree and diploma programs, industries, geographic scope, gender, and cultural background.
This open nomination process is intended to generate a more comprehensive list of graduates interested in serving the alumni community and are selected with diversity in mind to ensure that alumni receive proper representation.
Self-nominations are welcome.
Roles and Expectations of Board Members:
- Act as a strong ambassador for Cape Breton University (CBU) and the Cape Breton University Alumni Association (CBUAA).
- Motivate fellow alumni to be active in University advancement and alumni outreach.
- Should have a history of leadership, and the ability to collaborate and think strategically.
- Contribute actively to good governance, best practices, positive debate and creative ideas for the betterment of the CBUAA.
- Attend monthly board meetings and be prepared by reviewing past minutes, committee reports, and any other information provided in advance.
- Commit approximately 6 hours of volunteering per month (inclusive of board meetings).
- Declare a conflict of interest as applicable.
- Serve two, three-year terms.
Click here for the nomination form! (coming soon)
The Alumni Family
As CBU alumni, you’re part of a powerful network of more than 20, 000 members across the world. Our alumni are our biggest supporters and proudly act as ambassadors for CBU wherever they are. CBU’s alumni play an active role in helping to shape our future and aren’t shy about celebrating our achievements (when was the last time you met a shy CAPER?).
Thanks for visiting the CBU website and updating your contact information. As part of our alumni family you are among 20,000 members that chose CBU for their education. We hope to keep our connections strong and continue to grow our relationship with you.
There are plenty of ways to connect with your fellow alumni, as well as stay informed about the opportunities available to you. You can update your contact information here and learn about the many benefits and services available to CBU alumni. You’ll also have the opportunity to start a local chapter in your current city or town for fellow alumni to keep in touch. Be sure to visit the #AlwaysOrange Hub where you can connect to our social media channels as well as those of our extended CBU family.
Strengthen your Network by Joining Ours!
If there’s one thing you learned from your time at CBU, it’s that Cape Breton Islander’s love to stay in the loop and stay social. Staying connected with CBU’s alumni network will provide you with the opportunity to attend events, keep up with the latest news through Distinction (our alumni magazine), or join in on the conversation with us through social media. It’s like a legendary CBU kitchen Cèilidh that never ends!
To learn more about how you can shape and support the future of CBU, be sure to email the Alumni Office at Alumni@cbu.ca or call 902-563-1401.