The Beaton Institute is the official repository for historically significant records of Cape Breton University. Additionally, the Institute is a cultural heritage archive mandated to preserve the social, economic, political, and cultural history of Cape Breton Island. It is a centre for local, regional, national, and global research and strives to promote inquiry through innovative academic and public programming initiatives.
Reading Room and Reference Desk Hours:
Tuesday – Friday: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Wednesday Evening: 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm (ends December 16, 2015) *
Saturday: November 28, 2015; 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
The Beaton Institute will be closed to the public from December 21, 2015 to January 5, 2016.
- We are located in CE-267 (Student, Culture, and Heritage Centre).
- Our microfilm-scanner must be booked before use; two-hour time slots are available.
- Parking is available with a $1.00 per day charge.
- The Beaton Institute is wheelchair accessible.
* Our last Wednesday evening for the fall academic term will be December 16, 2015; evening hours will resume in January 2016.