If you have not received your Visa or have not secured housing accommodations for your intended intake or other circumstances have arisen and you need to defer to a future intake, please read the following page carefully.
To submit a deferral request, you will need your CBU email address and password. New students can expect to receive this information via email from CBU’s IT Department within a week of acceptance to CBU, via the email address you used to apply to CBU originally (this may be your agent’s email). If you need assistance regarding your email and password, please contact email@example.com
If you have a future intake listed on your NOA, you are eligible to defer.
- Click here to log in to your Compass Student Account.
- At the top right, click on your username and select “Program and Advising Support.” This will be on the top left corner if you are accessing via mobile phone.
- Click “Get Help” if you are on desktop, or “!” if you are on mobile.
- Select the “Deferral Request” option from the list and complete the request form.
Deregister (drop) for any courses you have registered for in the intake you will not be attending. It is the student’s responsibility to drop all courses before the add/drop deadline of your original intake. Courses dropped after this date will incur financial penalties.
To drop a course, follow these steps:
- Log into your Compass Student Account.
- Visit the Student Planning tab.
- On the left of your screen, next to your schedule, you will see a list of the courses you are registered in. They will have a green checkmark and a status of Registered. Below the class information for this course, click the large ‘Drop’ button. If the courses do not have a status of registered or you do not see courses listed, you will not see a ‘Drop’ button and no further action is required.
- Once you click that button, you will be asked to confirm your decision. You can then visit the Student Planning tab again to see that this course was removed from your schedule.
By deregistering your courses before the beginning of classes, you will automatically be withdrawn from the International Health Plan. You do not need to take any further steps to opt-out at this time.
Check your CBU email account for further communication about your deferral request and next steps for your future intake.
- You will not receive a new NOA (Acceptance Letter) when your deferral is processed; your original NOA Is still valid.
- You will receive email confirmation once your deferral request has been processed. There is no other action required by you at this point regarding your deferral. If you have questions about advising and registration, please visit cbu.ca/advising
The current intake is the last intake listed on my NOA, what do I do?
If there are no future intakes listed on your NOA, you are not eligible to defer and must reapply. You can do so here.