The Confederacy of Mainland Mi’kmaq
CMM Development Corporation
Business Development Officer
The Confederacy of Mainland Mi’kmaq (The CMM) is a Tribal Council representing eight Mi’kmaq communities of
mainland Nova Scotia. Our mission is to proactively promote and assist Mi’kmaq communities’ initiatives towards
self-determination and enhancement of community. The CMM is located in the Millbrook Mi’kmaw Community in
Nova Scotia and has over 120 Employees. The CMM’s Development Corporation is currently looking for an energetic,
mature, and independent candidate to fill the role of a Business Development Officer.
The CMM through its current programming and development corporation will be promoting business and social
enterprise development for the organization and its member communities. Reporting to the CEO, the Business
Development Officer will be responsible to provide support to the development of social/economic activities,
including helping to plan and develop economic projects, marketing, proposal writing and researching information on
socio- economic development.
Overview of Responsibilities:
– Promote, encourage, assist and support economic development initiatives to ensure that The CMM, and
membership bands, are aware of the business opportunities available to them.
– Appraise projects and programs to determine if there is a basis for the applicant to acquire funding.
– Provide advice concerning the sources and conditions of available economic development financing to The
CMM to administer and develop programs.
– Assist and develop business plans, feasibility studies, community plans and/or funding proposals.
– Negotiate and secure funding and/or financing for business and training projects with governments (federal,
provincial, and municipal) or other agencies for The CMM or member bands.
– To provide information, materials and resources to programs and communities in order to facilitate the
administration and coordination of workshops and conferences.
– Prepare training proposals through the identification of training needs created by internal or external needs
of The CMM or member bands that could impact future areas of development.
– Prepare and submit claims to Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) and other relevant agencies as well as
accessing government contracts relevant to development.
– Develop and compile research aimed at improving current partnerships and generating new partnerships.
– Post Secondary degree or certificate program in Management, Economic Development or Administration.
– Knowledge of government and private industry programs with respect to Economic Development.
– Working knowledge of the political and social environment of Nova Scotia First Nation communities.
– Knowledgeable of business, feasibility, marketing, and communication plans.
– Must have a valid driver’s license, vehicle, and ability to travel.
– Ability to communicate effectively, orally and written.
– Experience using computer programs such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet/Email.
– Effective interpersonal skills, high level of initiative and motivation.
– Ability to work a standard thirty-five (35) hours per week; however, the ability to work flexible hours may
Anticipated Salary Range: $45,000 to $50,000 per year based on experience. This is a one (1) year contract position
with the opportunity for renewal and subject to the policies and practice of the CMM. The CMM offers a substantial
benefits package to all employees.
Application Deadline: October 3rd, 2021
Submit Cover Letter and Resume to: Human Resources
c/o The Confederacy of Mainland Mi’kmaq
PO Box 1590, Truro, Nova Scotia B2N 5V3
We are an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Aboriginal applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal
Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. Only those applicants who provide up-to-date CV along with
Cover Letter and qualify for interview will be contacted. The successful candidate may be required to submit a current criminal record check.
Applicants MUST provide proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency.