Easter Seals Nova Scotia-Camp Tidnish
Job Title: Camp Counsellor
Reports to: Head Counsellor
Rate of Pay: $80.15/ per camp day
Bonus: $300.00 on completion of contract.
Date of Employment: May 21 – August 24, 2023
Deadline: March 30
To carry out the Camp Tidnish recreational camping program and, to provide direct camper
assistance on a daily basis in accordance with established Camp Tidnish and Easter Seals Nova
Scotia policies and procedures. These key staff people work directly with campers to facilitate
their daily care needs and ensure smooth operation of the program. They should have strong
leadership and initiative skills, be a team player and have a good sense of fun and humour. Staff
should possess the ability to manage stress and multiple demands. Previous overnight camp
experience and previous experiences working with people who have disabilities is an asset.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Must be high school graduate, minimum age of 18 before or on the 21st of May 2023.
• Experience working or volunteering with persons with disabilities an asset, although not a
• Experience working in an overnight camp setting an asset, although not a requirement
• Must possess strong leadership and initiative skills
• Must be a team player
• Must be willing and able to adjust and adhere to camp policies, procedures, and program
• Must operate from the philosophy that “Campers Come First”
• Must have the qualities required to be a positive role model
• Must have the ability to manage stress and multiple demands
• Must possess good oral and written communication skills
• Must be willing to assist other team members as required,
• Must have clear Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector Search/Child Abuse Registry checks.
• Must have Standard First Aid with AED/CPR C.
Under the direction of the Head Counsellor, the Camp Tidnish Counsellor will:
• Take part in all recommended staff training sessions
• Lead and guide a cabin of 8-12 campers with the assistance of other cabin counsellors
• Be responsible for the totality of campers’ care: toileting and bathing; dressing and
grooming; lifting; feeding; and putting to bed and getting up
• Actively participate in camper programs
• Interpret the Camp Tidnish rules, policies and traditions of the camp to the campers
• Be responsible for all aspects of health, safety, and welfare of campers entrusted to your
• Be responsible for advising and, if necessary, appropriately use disciplinary actions if a
camper demonstrates a behavioural concern
• Report all disciplinary actions to the Camp Director
• Fill out all Incident and Accident Reports in a timely and professional manner
• Notifying the Camp Director should problems, questions or concerns should arise
• Ensure campers leave with their belongings as checked on the camper clothing list
• Coordinate and lead activities on an occasional basis
• Be responsible for daily cabin cleaning and organization
• Conduct daily clean-up duties as well as a camp wide clean up at the end of every camp
• Be fully familiarized with Camp Tidnish Staff Manual
• Complete other duties as requested by the Head Counsellor and Assistant Camp Director.
*Room and board included in pay.
Camp Tidnish operates from May 14 – August 30, 2023. During this time, the staff is required to
live on site during camp sessions and to be on call as required to provide effective support for
our campers. Hours of work are directly related to a typical camp day (7 a.m. – 10 p.m.) plus any
additional hours required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.
Easter Seals Nova Scotia requires all employees, volunteers, and participants to be fully
vaccinated against Covid-19.
Effective October 1, 2021, full 2-dose vaccinations will be mandatory for all staff, clients,
program participants and volunteers directly associated with program delivery through Easter
Seals Nova Scotia. Proof of vaccination will be required. Those who cannot to be vaccinated for
medical, religious, or cultural reasons must be tested for Co-Vid twice a week through our
Workplace Screening Program.
HOW TO APPLY Complete the Online Application: https://www.camptidnish.org/our-staff
Questions can be directed to Camp Director, Roxy Peterson – email@example.com