Finance Department, Payroll Clerk
Work Location: Indian Brook
Closing Date: March 30, 2023
Under the direction of the Financial Analyst and Director of Finance, the Payroll Clerk is responsible for providing
financial payroll services to employees of Sipeknekatik First Nations. This includes processing and monitoring
expenditures and payments for bi-weekly payroll and includes maintaining employee files. This position ensures
Sipekne’katik’s bi-weekly payroll is processed accurately and kept up-to-date in a timely manner.
• Verify time sheets to comply with payroll standards and financial policies/procedures.
• Scan time sheets into payroll system.
• Prepare full payroll cycle for bi-weekly payroll processing that includes reconciling payroll clearing
• Verify that all pay cheques are signed in accordance with Sipekne’katik policies.
• Post invoices for source deductions and garnishments.
• Reconcile monthly pension and medical benefit invoices in collaboration with HR staff.
• Reconcile quarterly WCB accounts.
• Maintain digital and hard copy filing systems.
• Assist with community disbursements (e.g., annual Christmas bonus).
• Post journal entries as needed.
• Assist with special projects and audit preparation.
• Report any discrepancies or concerns for potential fraud directly to Director of Finance.
• Ensure confidentiality and privacy around all financial and employee files.
• Other related duties as determined by the Director of Finance and EFO.
• Grade 12 education along with post-secondary education in accounting/payroll or willingness to
complete accounting program while working. A combination of experience and education will be giving
• Previous experience processing Payroll and working in finance or accounting considered an asset.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Good communication skills (verbal and writing).
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Proficient with MS Office with ability to learn accounting software programs.
• Knowledge of Indigenous communities/organizations.
• Must submit a satisfactory criminal record check. Having a criminal record is not necessarily a
Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. This position comes with a variety of
benefits including health, dental, disability and life insurances, an employee & family assistance program and an
employer pension plan.
Please apply with a resume, cover letter and Criminal Records Check to:
Human Resource Manager
Mail/drop off: 522 Church Street, Indian Brook, NS B0N 2H0.
We are an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Indigenous applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal Employment Preference
Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. The Band will not assume any expenses related to any job-related application process, included but not
limited to travel, relocation, and application development. Please note certain positions come with mandatory employee benefits. This competition may be used
to staff future related job opportunities with Sipeknekatik. Only those applicants who qualify for an interview will be contacted.