- Ask what information it is the person needs – narrow the scope of the request.
- Assist the individual as much as possible by explaining what records exist, don’t exist and which ones are routinely available.
- Refer the individual to the FOIPOP Administrator if the request is for records that contain confidential or personal information
- Refer verbal requests from the media to the Director of Marketing and Communication.
- Don’t treat a verbal request as a FOIPOP request – only requests in writing are handled under the Act.
- Don’t refuse to provide access without an explanation or without advising the individual to put the request in writing and how to submit it.