Financial Aid

Now that you’ve decided to attend university, you’re probably wondering what your options are when it comes to paying for your education.

The Enrolment Services Specialist – Financial Support is dedicated to discussing and identifying financial problems and assisting with the financial needs of students as required. We make every effort to provide counselling to potential and current CBU students in completing applications for assistance under various Federal, Provincial and American loan programs.

Information on Canada Student Loan/Provincial Student Loan programs can be accessed at along with helpful tools and calculators. Canadian residents must apply through the province or territory they have resided in for the past 12 months prior to entering their program of study. Visit Provincial/Territorial Student Financial Assistance Offices for a complete list .

The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) offers useful information on paying for post-secondary education, budgeting, and saving for your education.

Students requiring the completion of Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) forms can have them completed by emailing the form to, faxing it to 902-563-1677 or dropping it off in person at B-111-G. If the RESP requires a Verification of Enrolment letter and not a standard form, these can be obtained through Enrolment Services  or by emailing Appointments can be made in person, by phone or email.

US Students

Cape Breton University participates in the US Department of Education William D. Ford Direct Loan program. US citizens may learn more about potential funding through and can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at this site.

Students may also obtain funding through the Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan. Information on this funding can be obtained through

If you are a US citizen that will be applying for funding please contact Sheryl Trimm, Manager, Student Financial Accounts at for further information.

Below are links to required resources for participating in the Direct Loan program:

United States Department of Education Return to Title IV (R2T4) Regulations

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Regulations for US Financial Aid Recipients

Consumer Information for US Financial Aid

Related Contact

Enrolment Services

View All Faculty & Staff