After you have been nominated to the Exchange Program
Apply to the exchange institution as an “exchange student” and to residence if you intend to stay on campus.
After you apply to the Exchange University
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss the courses you wish to take while studying abroad and complete a Letter of Permission form and forward it to the Dean of your academic school to ensure you will receive credit upon successful completion.
- Apply for a Canadian passport (Canadian Students) if you do not already have one, or apply for renewal if your current passport will expire within six months of your intended return home. If you are not a Canadian citizen, be sure your passport is up-to-date. (Note: make two copies of the identification page of your passport and other important pieces of identification, and leave one copy with family or friends at home and carry the other separately from your passport when you travel in case you lose the originals).
- Prepare a realistic budget of expenses.
- Make an appointment with your health care provider to discuss immunizations and any health issues you may have.
- Begin to research visa requirements for the exchange country.
After receiving acceptance from the Exchange University
- Apply for a visa if required.
- Establish contact with the contact person at the Study Abroad Office of the exchange institution.
- Make accommodation arrangements if you are not staying, or have not been accepted into residence.
- Arrange your health insurance (some schools require you to purchase their health insurance plan).
- Make travel arrangements.
- Arrange Power of Attorney to give a representative the right to sign papers on your behalf while you’re away, or to complete your taxes if you are away during the tax season.
- Purchase travel insurance (if necessary).
- Arrange your finances (foreign cash, traveller’s cheques, debit/credit cards). Proof of sufficient funds to support your stay while studying abroad is often required.
- Pay your tuition prior to your departure (Contact the CBU Finance Dept. for details).
Arrival at the Exchange University
- Attend any orientation sessions that apply to you.
- Meet your host exchange coordinator, get registered for your courses, and pay any outstanding balances.
- Become acquainted with your host institution and the surrounding area.
- Open a bank account near your new accommodations.
- Inquire and make arrangements for a physician to treat you (if necessary) during your temporary stay.
- Have the host institution forward a final transcript to your home institution at the completion of your studies.