Brief Job Description:
The intern will be in charge of maintaining (watering, pruning, fertilizing) and revitalizing current indoor green spaces in the CBU library and cafeteria, as well as developing new green spaces in consultation with other groups on campus. A priority will be placed on amending soil within four large plant containers in the library and replacing plants with local native flora. The student will also be engaged in developing educational materials/signage outlining positive benefits of indoor green spaces and biological/ecological information pertaining to the plant species present. An office space will be provided for the student in A-215.
The intern should:
- Be currently enrolled in the BSc Biology, BET-Environmental Studies, or BASE program
- Have knowledge and experience of working with plants, and a green thumb!
- Have an interest in the scientific literature exploring the health benefits (physical, social, mental) associated with indoor green spaces.
- Have good communication skills as well as an interest in public education/outreach
- Be able to lift and move heavy objects (gravel, soil, large plants).
- The intern should will be responsible for the:
- Care and maintenance of existing plants/green spaces
- Design, costing, and implementation of new green spaces in the library, including the amendment of soil and purchase of new indoor plants for current plant containers
- Investigation of appropriate native plants to use as indoor green spaces
- Development of improved signage describing the plants associated with campus green spaces, and outlining the established benefits of green spaces in work environments through handouts/social media
The intern will learn how to:
- Work as part of a team
- Manage time effectively
- Explore and summarize results of scientific studies for educational materials
- Communicate effective both in written form and orally
- Design an indoor green space
- Maintain healthy indoor green spaces
15 hours per week for 8 weeks
Current Cape Breton University Students who will be returning to studies September 2019 are eligible to apply for the Work Study program.
To apply for this position, please forward cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
In order to be considered, applications must be submitted separately for each posting and emails must include name of position.