Brief Job Description:
Reporting to the Manager, Access Services or designate the Student Assistant is to assist staff with daily, routine library operations. The incumbent will shelve, sort and collect circulating materials, shelf read, shelf clean, and carry out other duties as required.
Qualified candidates must be detail-oriented, perform routine tasks and work effectively in a team environment and independently. Basic computer knowledge preferred. The student should be reliable, punctual, and able to follow directions from supervisors; and have strong oral and written communication skills. This position includes; lifting boxes, pushing book carts, standing and walking. Training of specific job duties will be provided by library staff.
- Shelf read, straighten and tidy books on shelves, identify any books needing repair, update aisle markers as needed, shifts books in compact areas and ensure books are in correct order.
- Scan and photocopy materials.
- Search the stacks for books reported missing or billed for replacement.
- Assist with opening and closing procedures.
- Assist with maintaining library equipment such as printers, photocopiers, and scanners and assist students in using them.
- Provide directions in a professional manner.
- Assist in physical labor projects that call for the moving of furniture, shelving parts, other heavy items, etc.
Opportunity to learn new skills and meet people who share similar goals and interests. Opportunity to support Cape Breton University Library operations and help fulfill the organizational mission of creating lifelong learners.
30 hours per week for 8 weeks
Current Cape Breton University Students who will be returning to studies September 2019 are eligible to apply for the Work Study program.
To apply for this position, please forward cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
In order to be considered, applications must be submitted separately for each posting and emails must include name of position.