Brief Job Description:
The successful candidate will work with the Archivist and other staff/students to provide assistance for a variety of archival reference requests. The requests can range from individual research inquiries to more complicated project-based work or collaborative initiatives with various local organizations and communities. Some of the work will include reference interviews with researchers to determine needs, research and location of collections and content, digitization and scanning of materials, and entering data into the Beaton Institute’s Digital Archive for increased access: https://beatoninstitute.com/
- Excellent communication skills in-person, online and via telephone.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to track and categorize information
- Familiarity with data entry and working with databases an asset
- Knowledge of Cape Breton history an asset
- Ability to read hand-writing an asset
- Read and answer daily emails as directed by the Archival Research Assistant and/or Archivist.
- Answer calls and messages as directed by the Archival Research Assistant and/or Archivist.
- Provide reference service to on-site patrons which includes providing instruction on using the archive, proper handling techniques, collection recommendations, and pulling materials.
- Digitize various formats using on-site scanners (photographs, textual materials, maps, etc.)
- Liaise with other staff and students during larger collaborative projects and assist when needed.
- The student will improve communication and comprehension skills
- The student will gain knowledge of primary source literacy and become proficient in archival research techniques
- The student will gain technical skills related to digitization procedures, electronic file management and data entry
- The student will be offered networking opportunities as well as future work possibilities.
30 hours per week for 8 weeks
Current Cape Breton University Students who will be returning to studies September 2019 are eligible to apply for the Work Study program.
To apply for this position, please forward cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to be considered, applications must be submitted separately for each posting and emails must include name of position.