Brief Job Description: The CBU Art Gallery works to broaden and enhance the knowledge, understanding, enjoyment and appreciation of contemporary and historical accomplishments in the visual arts. The gallery is seeking a flexible candidate with diverse strengths to assist with day-to-day and special project work. The candidate will work closely with the public, but also be required to perform tasks for which an attention to detail, communication skills and technical proficiency are necessary. The candidate will gain experience and knowledge of a breadth of roles related to work in a public cultural institution.
Qualifications: An upper year student is preferred. Ability to work according to an established schedule, understanding of art history and or interest in the visual arts, interest in working with the public, attention to detail, computer skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team, organizational skills, ability to lift and move acquire items, ability to climb ladders
- Act as gallery attendant.
- Assist with public programming.
- Assist with event planning.
- Assist gallery staff in developing and implementing special projects. Including exhibit develop, collections maintenance, special events coordination.
- File materials, maintain statistic for monthly reporting and perform general office maintenance.
– Experience in art gallery operations through participation in day-to-day activities of the gallery.
– Public and customer service skills by working directly with the visiting public.
– Public education skills through public programming support.
– Management and organization of information collected for the gallery monthly statistical report.
– Demonstration of initiative and independent work in accomplishing set goals and targets.
– Improvement of verbal and written communication skills through interaction with the public.
– Time management skills through concurrently completing several ongoing projects and tasks.
– Safe work practices developed, understanding of WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety Issues.
Current Cape Breton University Students who will be returning to studies September 2019 are eligible to apply for the Work Study program.
To apply for this position, please forward cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
In order to be considered, applications must be submitted separately for each posting and emails must include name of position.