Company Profile: Bellwether Media Inc. is publisher of The Victoria Standard, Victoria County’s independent bi-weekly community newspaper. Now in its 27th year of publication, The Victoria Standard is a member of the Atlantic Community Newspaper Association and a County mainstay for residents and visitors to keep up-to-date on local news, events and business offerings.
- Applicants invited for an interview will be asked to provide 3 references (employer/academic). Each reference will be contacted.
- This position is supported by Canada Student Jobs. This program provides wage subsidies to employers to create employment for secondary and post secondary students.
- To be eligible for a position that is funded by Canada Summer Jobs, you will need to be between 15 and 30 years of age. You will also need to be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a refugee and be legally entitled to work in the employer’s jurisdiction.
- The local news reporter will be responsible for reporting on events throughout Victoria County. See map of Victoria County here: https://www.victoriacounty.com/cap-sites-map.html.
- The reporter will be expected to produce up to 3 news articles (approximately 400-500 words in length) for publication every two weeks. He/she will also be expected to capture relevant images using a digital camera.
- All required stationary, audio-recording and photography gear will be provided.
- In addition to news gathering, the reporter will be expected to engage in the following: secondary background research for stories, attending editorial meetings, researching best practices in community journalism, assisting in the archiving of past and present news material.
- The reporter must be able to work a flexible schedule with availability on weekends and evenings in case of breaking news. Valid driver’s licence and
access to reliable transportation is required.
Company: Bellwether Media Inc. (The Victoria Standard)
Location: Baddeck, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Status: Seasonal Full-time, 35 hours/week
Compensation: $12/hr, paid bi-weekly; mileage will be reimbursed
Contract Duration: 8 weeks, beginning on or after June 3
To Apply: If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates will be subject to a successful criminal background check and driver’s abstract before offer of employment is made. Bellwether Media Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and prides itself in maintaining a safe and inclusive work environment, free of discrimination and harassment. Bellwether Media Inc. welcomes applications from all interested parties and particularly encourages applications from individuals identifying as belonging to one or more of the following groups: 1) women, 2) Aboriginal peoples, 3) persons with disabilities, 4) members of visible minorities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is open until filled. Bellwether Media Inc. would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.