Camp Rankin is a co-ed residential camp for 4-H members ages 9 to 15. Broken into five one-week camps (ie. three one-week camps ages 9 – 12 and two week-long camp ages 13 – 15), the camp week begins on Sunday afternoon and ends the following Friday morning. A staff of nine is employed for the total five weeks of camp. Each week, six counselors-in-training are brought in as unpaid volunteers to help the counselors and “learn the ropes”. Through camp we strive to uphold the 4-H values and traditions which encourage care and responsibility for our resources and teaches positive life skills to youth. Camp Rankin is located in Cape Breton just outside of St. Peter’s on the Bras d’Or Lakes.
The position of Director is available for the summer of 2019.
– A minimum two years’ experience working with youth and have worked in a residential summer camping environment considered an asset.
– Must be responsible, reliable, have evidence of supervisory skills, and be able to demonstrate strong leadership.
– Understand that our priority is youth leadership and providing a hands-on learning environment.
– The Director will need to be creative in program design, and have a strong understanding of the needs of the age group that attend the camp.
– Ability to motivate and interface with teens, parents and volunteers.
– Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write concise reports, and effectively speak to audiences of youth and adults.
– Previous overnight camping experience considered an asset.
– 4-H experience considered an asset.
– First Aid/CPR and WHMIS training are provided during pre-camp training.
– The successful candidate will be required to undergo a Police Record Check and a Child Abuse Registry Check.
Under the direction of the Event Facilitator with 4-H Nova Scotia, the responsibilities of the Director include:
– Management and direction of a five-week camping program from July 7th to August 9th 2019.
– Must participate in the training process, prepare and present the staff orientation program and organize camp set-up for the summer.
– Supervise, coach and assist camp staff in their respective jobs while organizing and delivering an educational, exciting, and safe camping program for youth aged 9-15.
– The Camp Director is accountable for parental communication.
– The successful candidate will work in coordination with the Events Facilitator in a problem solving capacity to address issues as they develop.
– The Director conducts regular staff meetings to review camp procedures and information, and prepares an evaluation of each week of camp.
– Essential to the position is open communication with the Events Facilitator, recording and reporting any incidents immediately, while maintaining accountability for a log of medical events.
– Must keep accurate records of camp inventory supplies, and budget monitoring of onsite expenditures, including tuck shop.
– The Director is responsible for maintaining the schedule of all camp activities, and ensuring campers are adequately supervised around the clock (24 hours), and for keeping the camp site neat, clean and tidy.
– Provide written camp evaluation for teen and adult staff at the end of camp to Event Facilitator.
– Conduct an evaluation of each camp with campers to be used to plan future camps.
SALARY: $1,540.00 bi-weekly for a total of 6 weeks **Accommodation and meals are provided during training and throughout the duration of camp.
Location: Just outside of St. Peter’s, Cape Breton on the Bras D’or Lakes.
Apply with resume and cover letter (referencing the position) by March 15, 2019.
By email at email@example.com; fax 902-843-3989; or in-person at 90 Research Drive, Suite 122, Bible Hill, NS B6L 2R2