Camp Rankin is a co-ed residential camp for 4-H members ages 9 to 15. Broken into five one-week camps (ie. three one-week camps ages 9 – 12 and two week-long camp ages 13 – 15), the camp week begins on Sunday afternoon and ends the following Friday morning. A staff of nine is employed for the total five weeks of camp. Each week, six counselors-in-training are brought in as unpaid volunteers to help the counselors and “learn the ropes”. Through camp we strive to uphold the 4-H values and traditions which encourage care and responsibility for our resources and teaches positive life skills to youth. Camp Rankin is located in Cape Breton just outside of St. Peter’s on the Bras d’Or Lakes.
This is a residential camping experience with accommodations provided for the cook. The cook is responsible for preparing three nutritional meals per day plus snacks.
– The successful candidate will be at least 25 years of age and have cooking experience in a residential camp setting or preparing meals for large groups of people.
– We require an individual who can create a menu of food options that promotes healthy eating.
– Experience in ordering food and managing a budget.
– Experience preparing food for large groups.
– Ability to stand and work for long periods of time in a kitchen, lifting 25lbs or less.
– Must be well organized, responsible, dedicated, and have experience working independently.
– Must be adaptable and able to accommodate allergies by adjusting the menu (Gluten, Vegan, Nut, Dairy, etc.)
– The successful candidate will be required to undergo a Police Record Check and a Child Abuse Registry Check.
– Must have Food Safety Training recognized by the Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture.
– First Aid/CPR and WHMIS certification will be provided during pre-camp training.
Under the supervision of the Event Facilitator, the Camp Cook will:
– Prepare breakfast, lunch, dinner, and an evening snack for approximately sixty campers and counselors for the five week camping program.
– Responsible for developing a healthy menu following Canada’s Food Guide
– Preparing a budget
– Ordering food and providing home cooked meals for the campers throughout the five weeks of camp.
– Ensure food is stored properly and maintain a clean and sanitary kitchen.
– Adhere to camp policies and procedures.
– Supervise the campers and counselors in meal preparation and clean up.
SALARY: $1,260.00 bi-weekly
**Accommodation and meals are provided during training and throughout the duration of camp.
Location: Just outside of St. Peter’s, Cape Breton on the Bras D’or Lakes.
Apply with resume and cover letter (referencing the position) by March 15, 2019.
By email at firstname.lastname@example.org; fax 902-843-3989; or in-person at 90 Research Drive, Suite 122, Bible Hill, NS B6L 2R2