Willow House is a home/community-based program housed in a single family residence on a quiet street in Bonnyville, Alberta. WJS Canada provides services in this home for clients with developmental disabilities. Residents rent this home which is close to local restaurants and community resources for easy access. The residents enjoy dining out, shopping, attending movies and birthday parties, and recreational activities such as bowling.
The Sleep Shift Community Disability Service Worker job in Bonnyville is a front-line role who assists persons with developmental disabilities to live in and actively participate in their community. During overnight hours the Disability Support Worker ensures a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations. In the event of an emergent situation sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities.
—-Sleep rate of $15/hr applies during hours between 11pm and 7am—
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 High School Diploma
• MANDATORY – One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities, mental health concerns, complex needs, etc.
• Valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
- Disability Support
- Education Assistant
- Foundations in Community Disabilities
- Mental Health
- Social Service
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Special Needs
• Be aware of the individual’s physical, social and recreational environments, taking action to minimize risks and maximize participation/inclusion.
• Implement person-centered plans designed to support and assist persons in a residential group or private home setting
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills or assist with direct care of high needs and/or medically fragile individuals, as required.
• Provides instruction, guidance and support in a helpful and supportive manner.
• Assist and support individuals to participate in a meaningful way in their personal life planning definition of personal goals.
• Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
• Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
• Participates in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
• Maintain required documentation.