The Science Educator’s role is to plan, develop, implement and deliver Discovery Centre programs and workshops.
The Science Educator is responsible for maintaining high quality delivery of Discovery Centre programs for schools, public programs and special events. Working as a member of the Science Education team, the Educator will design new programs as needed, and will consistently deliver excellent program facilitation in keeping with Discovery Centre standards. The Science Educator also assists in educational media initiatives that help to promote the Discovery Centre and increase community awareness.
Completed post-secondary degree in science, education, or a related field is required. One year or more of experience in a teaching / education environment. Demonstrated ability to follow a schedule, manage groups, work independently and as part of team, and implement programming. A valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record. First Aid Certificate. Bilingual (preferred).
The Science Educator will be required to work beyond core business hours which may include evenings, weekends and holidays and is required to be flexible in fulfilling required shifts within agreement between the incumbent and Manager of Science and Programming.
A formal appraisal will be done twice a year.
- Affinity for science
- Dynamic teaching and presentation skills
- Pleasant dispositions
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Willing to work flexible hours
- Highly Organized
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to manage a budget
- Computer literate
- Clean driving record
- Works as part of the Science Education team to develop exciting, hands-on, science-based programming that will inspire scientific literacy in young people and encourage them to see science as part of their future career
- Facilitates Discovery Centre educational programs, public programming and registration based programs (camps, educator showcases, PD sessions)
- Ensures safe and responsible use of chemicals and materials while adhering to departmental safety procedures, stocking supplies, cleaning, maintenance of supplies and materials and ensuring a clean, safe working environment
- Travels to schools and communities around Nova Scotia, delivering programming, promoting science education, and upholding Discovery Centre’s mission
- Schedules events and programs as needed in consultation with the Customer Relations Coordinator, Science Education Team, STEAM facilitators, and Dome Presenters
- Interacts with decision-makers in the schools and in the community by phone and in person
- Ensures vehicle maintenance, reporting, restocking and refueling
- Assists with the coordination of information contributing to the writing of reports, maintaining statistics for all programs for reporting purposes.
- Provides input into the marketing of educational programs
- Contributes to the department by performing other duties from time to time (weekend, evening events and programming as needed)
- Liaises with board members, community members and stakeholders when necessary for sponsor based programs
- Shares techniques, trains and mentors Discovery Centre staff and volunteers
- Handles invoiced payments, produce expense reports and manage Visa reconciliations, keeps receipts, provides information for invoicing
Submit applications to Linda Laurence, Director, Human Resources, email@example.com