What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada’s mission is ‘Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services’. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family’s strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family’s belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Employment, Day Program and Community Access
One-on-one and group day support programs are a community-based mix of employment preparation and community involvement for adults with developmental disabilities.
WJS staff at the Day Support Program in Slave Lake, Alberta, encourage individuals with developmental disabilities to live a full life with personalized supports based on individual needs. Our commitment is to provide programs that maximize progress and independence, support each person’s unique strengths and qualities, and encourage integration and inclusion in the community
Slave Lake is a small town in northern Alberta about 200 km northwest of Edmonton and a similar distance southwest of Fort McMurray. It is located on the southeast shore of Lesser Slave Lake.
As a Disability Support Worker, you will support persons with behavior, emotional or physical challenges at the day program and around Slave Lake, with a range of job search supports, career development services and on-the-job coaching. Together you will set goals, identify challenges and celebrate success. Staff work closely with community employers and service groups to match employees with employers, focussing on building independence, positive self esteem and employability.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Assist and support individuals with developmental disabilities to develop and work towards the achievement of personal goals.
• Encourage opportunities for social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individuals to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contributes toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Assist individuals with daily living skills, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
- Employment Counsellor – 2 year(s)
- Life Skills – 2 year(s)
- Positive Behaviour Supports – 2 year(s)
- Supported Independent Living – 2 year(s)
- Abuse protocol
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Behaviour Strategies
- Community Rehabilitation
- Community Support Worker
- Crisis Intervention
- Foundations in Community Disabilities
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches
- Group Home
- Individualized program planning
- Personal Support Work
- Personal Support Worker
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
- Special Needs
- Support Worker
In Your Role You Will
• Encourage independence and community integration skills such as accessing community services through vocational, recreational, leisure activities.
• Work with persons served to set career goals and obtain suitable employment, working toward financial independence.
• Model & encourage socially acceptable behaviors, good citizenship and life skills.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.