WJS Canada is recruiting 8 full-time experienced Community Disability Support Workers (CDSW) for a proposed new 24 hr residential program in Slave Lake, Alberta, to support an adult with developmental disability and complex mental health needs.
Our dedicated and caring staff work a variety of shifts within this residential home to provide high quality, personalized care, helping those we serve to overcome their challenges and develop their strengths. We ensure a full life by forging friendships, nurturing a sense of belonging and encouraging community inclusion.
We encourage every individual we serve to participate in the development of their care plan, and we also invite family members and loved ones to become involved. This way we can be sure the individual’s unique strengths, personal goals and activity preferences are taken into account.
When the individual does not have an extended support system, WJS Canada staff advocates for them and ensures they are heard, valued and treated with respect.
***For the additional experience required and care provided, this Complex Needs position qualifies for an additional $3/hr complex needs rate***
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY – One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs.
• MANDATORY – A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
- Adults With Developmental Disabilities – 3 year(s)
- Developmental Disabilities – 3 year(s)
- Disability Support – 3 year(s)
- Group Home – 3 year(s)
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelors- Other
- Community Living
- Community Support Worker
- Complex Needs
- Education Assistant
- Health Care Aide
- Individualized program planning
- Life Skills
- Personal Support Work
- Personal Support Worker
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work Diploma
- Special Needs
- Supported Independent Living
• Assist and support individual with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Teach and encourage independent life skills i.e., hygiene (bathing, toileting, dental care, etc.), personal care (model appropriate behaviors), life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Daily household tasks at the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
• Encourage social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.