The mandate of the Cape Breton Family Resource Coalition is “families working together to build healthier families”. We work to enhance the health and well being of families with young children (newborn to sixteen years of age, along with expectant parents). Family Place also administers the Special Needs and Moving On projects for CUPW and UPCE-PSAC. We are currently seeking highly motivated, self-directed applicants who are interested in becoming part of our Island-wide team, working in an accepting, non-judgmental work environment.
Life is more demanding when you work and have a child with special needs. The Special Needs and Moving On Projects provide resources and support for CUPW and UPCE-PSAC members whose children have disabilities, disorders and/or health impairments. The Special Needs Project is geared to CUPW and UPCE-PSAC families with young children while the Moving On Project is for CUPW and UPCE-PSAC members who have adult sons and daughters with special needs.
Education and Experience
- Diploma in Administration field;
- Minimum three years related experience working in a fast-paced administrative environment using word processing and database software;
- Sound knowledge of general office procedures and practices;
- Understanding/Experience working with families supporting a child with a disabilities/disorders and/or health impairments;
- Equivalent combination of education and experience as noted above
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving skills;
- Excellent time, organizational and general management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a demanding work environment;
- Ability to work effectively with members, advisors and staff in a professional manner;
- Non-judgmental and accepting attitude;
- An understanding of the challenges that families with a child(ren) with special needs may experience;
- An openness to working with families with diverse cultural backgrounds; Capacity to work in both official languages is considered an asset;
- Experience within a MAC environment with applications such as FileMaker Pro, Excel, Email and Word;
- Accurate record keeping abilities; and
- Ability to work effectively independently.
The successful candidate will provide administrative support within our very busy, fully computerized office environment in Baddeck. This position works from our Baddeck office. This is a full time, full year position dependent upon available funding.
This position requires:
- The ability to function both independently and collaboratively
- Satisfactory completion of Child Abuse Registry checks and Vulnerable Record/Police Checks
- Access to reliable transportation
Salary: $18.50 per hour
Application Deadline: October 17, 2017 – 4:30 p.m.
All applicants must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter or resume that they meet essential qualifications of education and experience in order to be considered for further assessment.
Please forward cover letter, resume and three references to:
Cape Breton’s Family Place Resource Centre
714 Alexandra Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia B1S 2H4
Attention: Janet MacVicar
Applications will also be accepted in Microsoft Word format by electronic mail, in Word format, to Janet at email@example.com.