The Sexual Assault Navigator Therapist will provide short-term therapeutic counselling sessions that are trauma-informed/specific and culturally appropriate to women and trans individuals, 16 years and older, who have experienced a recent sexual assault and/or sexual harassment, past sexual assault and/or childhood sexual abuse, as well as, information sessions to non-offending parents. A specific focus will be on providing services to highly marginalized callers and clients including, youth, transgender individuals, and racialized populations. The Sexual Assault Navigator Therapist will serve as the initial contact for new callers to the organization who are seeking information regarding Avalon Programs and provide outside linkages and referrals to services in the community and province. The Sexual Assault Navigator Therapist will also work to enhance linkages with key community organizations representing marginalized populations and will be the first point of contact at Avalon Centre for those referred from these contacts.
- A graduate level degree in Counselling, Social Work or Psychology is required.
- A minimum of one-year experience in providing feminist, trauma-informed crisis intervention, individual counselling and advocacy. Sexual assault specific counselling experience preferred.
- A minimum of one-year experience in working with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated experience in networking and collaborating to improve marginalized populations access to appropriate services and systems following sexual assault.
- Extensive knowledge of cross-sectional oppression trauma as related to racism, homophobia/trans phobia, ageism, classism and poverty, etc.
- Solid knowledge of local community organizations and systems to facilitate referrals, collaboration and networking.
- Must be eligible for registration with their provincial professional regulatory association.
- Applicants are required to have a working knowledge of Windows Operating System, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Sexual Assault Navigation Therapist
12 Month Project Position
Terms of the Position:
- This is a 12 month project position. Remuneration will be based upon the successful candidate’s level of education and experience, along with the requirements of the position.
- Employment hours will be full-time; five days per week (35 hours), with some evening work
- Please submit a resume and covering letter to: Avalon Sexual Assault Centre, Attention Jackie Stevens, Executive Director by email: email@example.com
- Please no phone calls. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Deadline for Applications: June 9th, 2017.
Please note that applicants cannot have been an Avalon client in the past year
Avalon Sexual Assault Centre welcomes and prioritizes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization.
We encourage applicants to describe the ways in which their lived experiences will inspire and lead their contributions to their role at Avalon Centre in their cover letter.