Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Child and Youth Workers (Evenings & weekends – 3 positions)
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Varies. Sun to Sat, mostly evenings and weekends
Number of Positions: 3
Compensation: $18.0000 – $23.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: 24/09/2018
Spirit of Our Youth offers welcoming homes and trauma informed based services within a culturally enriched environment for First Nations, Metis and Inuit children and youth aged 3-24 years old. Our specially trained team, care for and optimize each youth’s potential and strengthen connections with their family and indigenous community.
Spirit of Our Youth Homes is recruiting 3 full time Youth Workers as part of a trauma informed team who provide a supportive home and culturally based First Nations, Metis and Inuit programming. You will provide compassionate care and support, supervise children and youth, maintaining the home (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.) and handling any crisis situations that may occur.
Spirit of Our Youth was started in 2000 out of a passion for helping Aboriginal youth. From one home in Central Edmonton we have grown to operate five Group Homes, a Supported Independent Living program, as well as a Drive and Supervised Visits program.
Our Employees Enjoy
At Spirit of Our Youth/WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
- Aboriginal Awareness
- Aboriginal culture
- Aboriginal language
- Abuse protocol
- Child and youth care
- Child and Youth Care Diploma
- Child Care Worker
- Child protection
- Child, Youth And Family Enhancement Act
- Crisis Intervention
- Medication Administration
- Social Service
- Social Service Worker Diploma
- Social Work
- Social Work Diploma
- Supported Independent Living
- Youth Worker
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess• Degree, Diploma or Certificate in the Human Services field or equivalent experience
• 2 years experience in group homes and/or supported independent living.
• Must provide a current (within past 6 months) criminal record check and Children’s Services Intervention check prior to confirmation of employment
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence and clean driver’s abstract with personal car insurance (2 million in third party liability)
• Must be able to deal with any crisis situations, to ensure safety for youth in the program.
• First Aid/CPR Certificate
• Suicide Intervention, Self Harm, Crisis Intervention and Medication Administration training
• Aboriginal awareness and cultural diversity training
• Able to work and follow Spirit of Our Youth Homes Inc. policies and procedures and adhere to Alberta Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
• Knowledge of the Canadian Accreditation Council of Human Services
• Able to lift 50 lbs.
In Your Role You Will
• Ensure safety and be a positive role model for youth.
• Ensure that all youths basic needs are met.
• Be responsible for writing care plans for youth, within timelines
• Work in cooperation with others to plan, support and/or deliver culturally appropriate programs, services, and outings.
• Perform housekeeping duties such as laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc.
• Complete documentation -log book, contact notes, medication, Critical Incident reports etc.
• Practice trauma informed care in response to youth behaviour.
• Be on-call approximately one week out of six.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
For more information on Spirit of Our Youth, services and career opportunities, visit www.spirityouth.ca or call 780-474-7140
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.