- Grade 12 required.
- Minimum of one year completion of a nursing program and returning to the nursing program in the fall of 2014.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with patients/residents, families, other health care providers and staff with a pleasant and cooperative attitude, demonstrating sensitivity, empathy and warmth.
- Ability to work in collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to adapt and understand patients/residents needs, assisting them in meeting their fullest physical and emotional potential.
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking and sound decision-making skills.
- Commitment to promoting a culture of respect that supports safety, ethical practices, cultural awareness and organizational health.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel); Email; Internet.
- Physical and mental capabilities to perform the duties of the position such as moving and mobilizing patients; varying workloads and shift work, including 12-hour shifts, days/nights; exposure to drugs and radiation, soiled and contaminated equipment, supplies and instruments and medical conditions of patients/residents; exposure in specified units to pets such as resident cats and pet therapy dogs; dealing with stressful situations relating to agitated, confused, aggressive, or hostile behavior of patients/residents.
- Regular attendance in current and previous employment.
- Successful applicants are required to provide a criminal record check and vulnerable sector check before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who
provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Reporting to the Health Service Manager, or designate, the Student – Acute Care Aide, under the direction of the Registered
Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse assumes responsibility for the provision of personal care for patients based on their individual
The Student – Acute Care Aide exhibits sound judgment and initiative while working within the philosophy, objectives, guidelines,
legislations, policies and procedures and Strategic Directions, Mission and Vision of Health Services and incorporates into daily
practice the Core Competencies and Values of the organization.
Hours of Work
Temporary, Full-time x 16 positions, with a start date of approximately July 1, 2016. The duration of these positions is
approximately August 31, 2016.
Job ID: NSHA BW 172-15 Job Title: Student Acute Care Aide (Minimum Completion of 1st
year of a Nursing Program & returning to the Nursing
Program in the Fall of 2016)
Dept ID: Various units Location: South Shore Regional Hospital, Bridgewater, N.S.
Fishermen’s Memorial Hospital, Lunenburg, N.S.
Queens General Hospital, Liverpool, N.S.
Open Date: March 18, 2016 Close Date: April 1, 2016
Reg/Temp: Temporary Full/Part: Full-time x 16 positions
Applications are accepted until 4:30 PM on the Closing Date
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke- free/scent-reduced environment at this site.
Successful applicants will be required to submit a criminal record check and vulnerable sector check and assume any associated costs,
as a condition of employment.
Internal Applicants (internal employees of the former South Shore District Health Authority) must complete an Internal Application Form
and attach a current resume, to be considered for the position.
People Services – Nova Scotia Health Authority
90 Glen Allan Drive
Bridgewater, NS B4V 3S6
Fax: (902) 543-4719