The Math & Science Centre is a free drop-in tutoring service offering support in intro-level math, business, statistics, physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering courses (note: geology and psychology tutoring may be offered). The Math & Science Centre currently has an opening for a part-time Business Tutor for the winter 2017 term. The Centre will re-open this term on January 10, 2017 and will be open Mondays through Thursdays, 3pm to 8pm.
A Math & Science Centre Tutor is responsible, reliable, and punctual and has demonstrated academic success in the subject area(s) in which he/she wishes to tutor. In addition, the following are deemed important:
- Strong listening, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- A desire to help others be successful
- Openness to diversity
- Respect for confidentiality
- Participate in tutor training
- Assist students in learning specific course material
- Assist students with study skills and learning strategies
- Maintain ongoing communication with the lead tutor/coordinator of the Math & Science Centre
- Complete an “Attendance and Summary of Session” form for each session worked
- Provide feedback for the purpose of improving the Centre
The initial work term will be from January to April 2017, with the possibility for renewal. It is hoped that a Tutor will be able to commit a minimum of 4 hours per week. The rate of pay is $15.75 – $16.25 per hour, subject to student experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.