Duration: Variable term contracts (Maximum 3 months)
Actua’s Outreach instructors are largely post-secondary students or recent graduates with a strong
background in and/or interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education and
working with youth. They lead the delivery of STEM classroom workshops in schools in May and early
June, and/or the delivery of week-long STEM day camps in July and August. The Outreach Team delivers
programming primarily in rural and remote areas, working largely with Indigenous youth.
Successful Outreach instructors work positively with their team, maintain open communication with
national office staff, see challenges as learning opportunities, engage with the communities they travel
to, and carry out the Actua mission and vision. Outreach instructors report to Actua’s Senior Manager
of Education & Outreach and Outreach Coordinators, however due to the unpredictable nature of
outreach programming in remote communities, other Actua national staff also provide assistance as
needed throughout the summer.
- Actua offers a competitive salary of $800/week including vacation pay;
- Actua covers all work-related travel, expenses and accommodations, including the initial travel
to training in Ottawa; and
- Actua provides a daily food allowance to help offset the higher food prices in remote regions.
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following:
- A demonstrated interest or background in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)
and youth education
- Experience working with youth in a camp or other informal educational setting
- Ability to work with communities as an ambassador for Actua and a role model to youth
- Ability to work in a team environment under minimal and remote supervision
- Open to learning and feedback
- Resourceful, flexible and adaptable to a variety of work conditions
- Comfortable traveling via various modes of transportation frequently throughout the work
- Keen on traveling to and living in rural and remote communities throughout the work term
- Strong public speaking and communication skills, including the ability to complete written
- Post-secondary education in STEM disciplines
- Experience working with an Actua Network Member program
- Experience working in rural, or remote communities
- Experience working with Indigenous youth
- In-depth knowledge and/or experience of Indigenous culture(s)
- Conversational Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun, Cree, other Indigenous languages, or French
- A Valid ‘G’, Class 5, or equivalent driver’s license and eligibility to rent a car (for most provinces
this requires you to be 21 years of age)
Key aspects of the Outreach instructor position include:
- Delivering fun, hands-on, educational STEM programming for youth ages 6-16;
- Serving as a positive role model for youth in Indigenous, rural, and/or remote communities;
- Participating in thorough and thoughtful training sessions held at the Actua national office in
- Maintaining an inclusive and safe space for ALL youth;
- Daily camp management and administration;
- Assisting with camp promotion and camper registration;
- Coordinating community engagement activities (e.g. site visits, mentor and Elder events) and
maintaining positive relationships with host communities;
- Managing logistics related to transportation and storage of camp supplies including moderate
to heavy lifting of supply bins;
- Frequent travel to Indigenous, rural, and/or remote communities, with majority of travel being
via aircraft or driving in a vehicle. Instructors can expect to travel weekly, with majority of travel
taking place over the weekends;
- Working and living with a pod (team) of one to two co-instructors for extended periods of time;
- Contributing to the future of the program by participating in evaluation, completing reports,
taking photos, and providing feedback, and sharing success stories, on a weekly basis.
If you would like this job to be considered a Co-op course please submit cover letter and resume to Student Placement Office, Carly Turnbull: email@example.com
- Be at least 18 years or older at the start of the work term and enrolled in or have completed
- Attend Outreach training sessions in Ottawa (Actua will arrange travel and accommodation for
training sessions) and be able to commit to a minimum of 4 consecutive weeks of outreach
- Be able to travel for the duration of the work term
- Be able to participate in moderate to heavy lifting of supply bins during travel
- Submit a completed application form including cover letter, resume, and three references, one
of which can speak to your experience working with youth.
Successful Applicants must:
- Have or be willing to obtain valid Standard First Aid training with CPR C (before work term
- Pass a Criminal Record check including the vulnerable sector check. The check must be finalized
and submitted to Actua before the work term begins.
- Provide a completed medical fitness form from their physician
Application Process & Form
To apply for a position as an outreach instructor you will need to:
- Download, complete, sign and submit an application package prior to the deadline for
submission. The package can be found on the following page or as a separate download on
actua.ca/about under Employment section.
- Submit your resume.
- Submit a cover letter (more information about the cover letter, including format guidelines, is
provided in the application package).
- Provide contact information for 3 references, at least one of which has observed you working
directly with youth.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment
process, please contact us to provide your contact information. We will contact you within 2
Applications are due on Sunday, February 11th, 2018, 11:59pm EST.
We thank everyone for applying, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.