Nature and Scope of Work
Reporting to the Occupational Health and Safety Specialist, the Co-op Student – Public Works will support the development and execution of the overall delivery plan of the Department of Public Works. Under the direct supervision of the Occupational Health and Safety Specialist, the Co-op Student will contribute to the delivery of Municipal services to the constituents of the Municipality of the County of Inverness.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Currently enrolled in a co-operative program at a Nova Scotia post-secondary institution.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Sound judgement and problem-solving skills. Ability to analyze business needs and respond accordingly.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to clearly communicate viewpoints in both written and verbal form.
- Able to work as a team member as well as an individual, able to lead small projects and participate on larger more complex initiatives.
- Ability to learn and grow as a student while providing a value-add service to the Municipality.
The work environment will vary depending on season. The Student will be expected to perform job tasks that are outside as well as in office areas. Limited to moderate lifting. Prolonged standing/walking/sitting. Exposure to hot and cold environments. Travel to worksites across the Municipality as needed, drivers licence and access to reliable vehicle preferred but not necessary.
- Support the Public Works Department though the development and implementation of a 5S program to drive efficiencies and standardization within the water, waste water and maintenance teams.
- Develop and implement a system to ensure proper classification, inspection and maintenance of the Municipal fire safety systems.
This is a Co-op position. Please contact Student Placement Officer, Peggy Gordon, for details. email@example.com.