Nature and Scope of Work
Reporting to the Occupational Health and Safety Specialist, the Student – OHS supports the development and execution of the overall delivery plan of the Municipality of the County of Inverness. Under the direction of the Occupational Health and Safety Specialist, the Student – OHS will participate in the delivery of programs that ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of the employees of the Municipality as well protecting the environment for those who live and visit Inverness County.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Currently enrolled in a Health and Safety, Environmental or Engineering co-operative program at a recognized Nova Scotia post-secondary institution.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Sound judgement and problem-solving skills. Ability to analyze business needs and respond accordingly.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to clearly communicate viewpoints in both written and verbal form.
- Able to work as a team member as well as an individual, able to lead small projects and participate on larger more complex initiatives.
- Ability to learn and grow as a student while providing a value-add service to the Municipality.
The work environment will vary depending on season. The Student will be expected to perform job tasks that are outside as well as in office areas. Limited lifting. Prolonged standing/walking/sitting. Exposure to hot and cold environments. Travel to worksites across the Municipality as needed, drivers licence and access to reliable vehicle preferred but not necessary.
- Support the review and evaluation of work environments and implement programs to control, eliminate and prevent injury and illness.
- Ensure compliance with Federal, Provincial and Municipal standards, regulations and best practices.
- Create, implement or support established practices and procedures in the areas of 5S, Chemical Management, Emergency Response, Industrial Hygiene and Risk Assessment.
This is a Co-op position. Please contact Student Placement Officer, Peggy Gordon, for details. firstname.lastname@example.org.