Cape Breton Regional Municipality (CBRM) also referred to as CBRM, is a regional
municipality in Nova Scotia’s Cape Breton Island. CBRM is Atlantic Canada’s third largest metropolitan area, and the second largest municipality in Nova Scotia. CBRM’s City Hall is located on the harbour front in downtown Sydney. The CBRM is a major employer in the region with over 800 employees including police officers, fire personnel, administrative, building inspection, planning, recreation and public works staff.
JOB SCOPE: CBRM is seeking a dynamic, self-starter to assist with communications efforts of the municipality. The Communications assistant will work independently and in a team to fulfill organizational goals and initiatives related to communications programming, while gaining hands-on experience and training. The successful applicant will act as a communication team player on various projects, working closely with managers, project teams, and diverse departments.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong digital skills i.e. photography, social media platforms, Adobe design tools.
- Must have a strong understanding of social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
- Experience working with Microsoft Office products
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with deadlines in a constantly changing environment
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and outgoing individual.
- Demonstrate superior interpersonal skills
- A keen interest in communications, marketing and public relations
- Graphics and Video editing abilities an asset
SALARY & DETAILS:
- $15/hour for 35 hours a week
- January 2019 – April 2019 (16 weeks)
- CBRM’s City Hall, 320 Esplanade, Sydney, NS
- Writing and editing communications materials, such as posters, public announcements, internal emails & stories of interest, press releases & educational information for citizens
- Assist in planning and executing communications campaigns and programs
- Develop social media content and graphics on a variety of topics pertaining to the municipality’s various departments (i.e. public works, water utility, fire services, transit, planning, parks and grounds, council)
- Monitor media and social media channels, providing analytics and updates
- Media relations activities, including assisting in writing and editing press releases and media kits
- Assist in answering media enquiries
- Assist in improving internal communications programs
- Update website content and suggest improvements for website organization
- Researching and recommending best practices and opportunities in the field of communications
- Updating media lists and other databases
For more information and to determine if you qualify for CO-OP, contact Student Placement Officer: Holly MacDonald email@example.com
Please include the job title in your email subject line and provide your degree program and CBU student id number in the body of the email.