This position will allow the student to broaden their knowledge of working with an accounting team in a financial environment, it will help them understand how a co-operative such as a Credit Union operates and enhance their skills in a variety of accounting functions including but not limited to preparing a variety of accounting reports and analyses relating to the general ledger, members and credit union accounts in order to assist management in making prudent financial decisions. The employee will work directly with the Accounting Department and report directly to the Manager Accounting and interact with many other employees within East Coast Credit Union.
East Coast Credit Union is a dynamic, full service, financial co-operative using a member-first approach to partner with individual and business members to achieve financial success. East Coast Credit Union is the largest credit union in Atlantic Canada with approximately $770 million in assets and serving over 41,000 members from a branch network reaching from Cape Breton to Halifax, giving you more access when and where you need it. They have grown to become a stronger credit union that is focused on investing in your communities, providing competitive products and new services and building relationships with your unique financial needs in mind. Providing convenient and flexible banking options means their members can do their banking any way, anywhere! They are proud to be a part of the credit union system that has been ranked first in customer service excellence out of all financial institutions for 12 years in a row. East Coast Credit Union is locally owned by their members. They are committed to supporting the communities they live and work in through not only financial support but also countless volunteer hours.
Qualifications: BPR/Accounting Co-op Students
• Competent in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe
• Excellent communications skills (written and verbal)
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, co-operatives and their special qualities as member-owned businesses
• Adaptability to Change – Applies guidelines or procedures flexibly
• Customer Service Orientation – Builds relationships with customer
• Listening, Understanding and Responding – Listens responsively
• Results Orientation – Acts to achieve defined performance standards
• Teamwork and Cooperation – Expresses positive expectations of team
• Strategic Orientation – Aligns current action with strategic goals of the organization
Duties may include a variety of the following:
• Verifies, posts and balances various business transactions including funds received and disbursed, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
• Prepares and processes general journal entries to various G.L. accounts. Balances journal entries to General Ledger and maintains general ledger accounts. Reconciles sub-ledgers to the General Ledger and reconciles differences.
• Prepares and maintains various schedules including Fixed Assets, Prepaid Expenses, Accounts and balances to G.L. control account.
• Performs daily checking of computer reports to verify accuracy of postings. Takes action on any errors identified to ensure they are corrected.
• Processes accounts payable including auditing invoices against purchase orders and resolving any discrepancies, obtaining necessary approvals, preparing accounts payable cheques.
• Completes Credit Union internal accounts and current account reconciliations.
• Assists in the preparation of the monthly financial statements including variance analysis.
• Assists in the preparation of the annual capital and operating budgets for the Credit Union.
• Assists in the preparation of the annual audit working papers and provides assistance to external and internal auditors and regulatory auditors.
• Processes wire transfers as per policy and procedures.
• Provides administrative support including preparing correspondence and reports; maintenance of the filing system; developing and maintaining the procedures manual for the incumbent’s job; and other general office administration.
• Assists and backs-up the other members of the Accounting Department and completes other duties and projects as assigned.
Dates: May 6 to August 16, 2019 (15 weeks)
Salary: $15.50 per hour
Hours: 35 per week
Location: Flexible depending on hire – Dartmouth, Antigonish, Port Hawkesbury, Margaree, NS
This is a co-op position for students enrolled in the Bachelor of Business Administration Co-op Option program. Please contact Shannon_Garnier@cbu.ca for more information.