Job/Project Description: Student Archival Assistant
The Beaton Institute is the institutional archive for Cape Breton University and the regional archive for Cape Breton Island. The student archival assistant keeps regularly scheduled hours, assists staff in providing reference services, helps patrons with their research inquiries, performs basic archival responsibilities and works with students, faculty and the general public.
1. Assist in greeting and orienting researchers.
- Assist in shelving and retrieve materials.
- Assist patrons with research (onsite, phone and online queries).
- Fill online and in-person requests for copies or scans.
- Work with Beaton Institute staff in developing and implementing special projects. Including exhibit develop, collections maintenance, finding aid development, indexing, photograph digitization, special events.
- File materials, maintain statistic for monthly reporting and perform general office maintenance.
Assist with the daily operations and running of the reference desk and reading room of the archives.
Assist in ensuring the security and preservation of the archival collection.
Assist with collections management projects including re-housing of archival material, data migration and digitization initiatives. Assists with a variety of promotional and public relations events and activities.
An upper year student is preferred. Ability to work according to an established schedule, computer skills, attention to detail, ability to work independently and as part of a team, organizational skills, ability to work with the public, understanding of historical research methods and approaches, ability to solve problems, ability to lift and move heavy boxes, ability to climb ladders, not adverse to dust or react adversely when in contact with mould.
Start Date: Mid-September
End Date: Mid-April
Hours: All positions are part time, hours TBD
Only eligible students can apply to a CBU Work Study Bursary position. If eligible send resume, cover letter and an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program to: firstname.lastname@example.org Submissions that do not include an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program will not be considered. All applications must also reference the above Job Number.
To determine eligibility and to complete an application go to: http://www.cbu.ca/come-to-cbu/tuition-finances/scholarships-bursaries/applications/
Deadline to apply is September 11, 2015.