Job Title: Plant Ecology Research Assistant
Supervisor: Dr. Thomas Bouman
The successful candidate will assist in research on forest ecosystems in Cape Breton County. In 2015-16, four CBU students used field methods to explore soils and vegetation. This reconnaissance identified locations suitable for ecosystem research in the public water supply areas of Cape Breton Regional Municipality. In 2016-17, a CBU student researched the effects of canopy passage on rainwater quality as part of her honours thesis research project. The student received an externally sponsored Science Communications award for her thesis project presentation at the Science Atlantic Environment conference at UNB, March 2017. In 2017-18, the student research assistant will work with CBRM staff and CBU supervisor to characterize the soil at select locations for which differential effects of forest canopy on rainwater quality have been ascertained.
- The position requires ability to work independently
- Great team spirit
- Willingness to work outdoors in wilderness areas and perform physical labour such as digging soil pits
- ability to maintain professional rapport with external research partners; and computer skills for data analysis and research reporting. Training in plant ecology desirable.
- The successful candidate will be expected to dig soil pits, describe soil profiles, and collect samples for lab testing of particle size distribution, pH, and loss on ignition.
- The successful candidate will also enter and organize the data in MS Excel; conduct some exploratory statistical analysis; and, regularly report to the CBU supervisor and staff of CBRM Water Utility.
Start Date: September 2017
End Date: December 2017
Hours: All positions are part-time, hours TBD
Only eligible students can apply to a CBU Work Study Bursary position. If eligible send resume, cover letter and an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program to: firstname.lastname@example.org Submissions that do not include an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program will not be considered. All applications must also reference the above Job Number.
To determine eligibility and to complete an application go to: http://www.cbu.ca/come-to-cbu/tuition-finances/scholarships-bursaries/work-study-bursary-program/