Job/Project Description: Marine Ecology Intern
Cape Breton’s coastline encompasses a wide variety of near shore environments ranging from rocky shores to seagrass meadows and salt marshes to sand/mud flats. Numerous weird and wonderful marine organisms abound within these environments, yet locally we lack good educational guides and pamphlets appropriate for interpreting and understanding these habitats and their associated organisms. By categorizing/describing local marine environments, photographing/drawing living specimens collected locally, and using vast literature resources at CBU, the marine ecology intern will help to develop guides and brochures that can be used to explore, interpret, and promote our local near shore marine environments. These guides will be useful for university level classes and well as for public outreach events.
- Sample and collect living specimens from local coastal habitats; animals will be kept short-term in the Marine Display tank
- Draw/photograph representative specimens
- Photograph and describe local nearshore environments
- Collect literature resources associated with local marine habitats and organisms
- Collate and assemble materials into educational guides and brochures
- Help faculty member to maintain the Marine Display tank in A-wing and to provide interpretative materials for students/the public based on the biology/ecology of organisms kept in the tank.
- ideally an upper year student with a knowledge of local marine invertebrates and vertebrates
- good artistic/graphic/photographic skills
- ability to find and integrate information from scientific articles
- ability to hike along coastal trails
- interest in working outdoors and a love of getting wet
- ability to work independently
- good organizational skills required
To work with faculty to develop educational materials focused on interpreting near shore marine habitats and their associated organisms; also to help maintain the Marine Display tank.
Start Date: September 19
End Date: December 2016
Hours: All positions are part-time, hours TBD
Only eligible students can apply to a CBU Work Study Bursary position. If eligible send resume, cover letter and an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program to: email@example.com Submissions that do not include an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program will not be considered. All applications must also reference the above Job Number.
To determine eligibility and to complete an application go to: http://www.cbu.ca/come-to-cbu/tuition-finances/scholarships-bursaries/work-study-bursary-program/