Job/Project Description: Intern – Chemistry
This is an opportunity to work alongside the faculty, staff and the undergraduate Chemistry Society in the Department of Chemistry at CBU. You will have the opportunity to help update and develop new chemistry demonstrations and kits which will aid in showcasing the wonders of chemistry to students in the classroom and in the community. You will gain an understanding of how the department fosters chemistry in schools as well as to a wider public audience.
The intern will be assigned tasks including, but not limited to:
- Develop new chemistry demo kits which will include all material to carry out the specific demonstrations, as well as a detailed description of the chemistry behind the demonstration and use points of discussion for the demonstrator presenters
- Stimulate students’ interest in chemistry, to demonstrate the relevance of chemistry in everyday life, and to encourage students to consider pursuing careers in science and medicine
Students with an interest in chemistry apply (completion of Chem 1104/1105 is required)
- Assist with planning and execution of at least 2 outreach event events that will take place involving the department ( these may include high school visits, participation in Chemistry Week activities in conjunction with the Chemistry Society, Mole day, Magic shows, CBU Open House etc) using the demo kits that are already in use by the department, as well as the new kits you will develop
- Write up a final report on at least one event that you helped organize
- Help develop printed materials for chemistry outreach
- Assist in increasing the Departments online presence using social media (twitter/facebook etc)
Start Date: January 2017
End Date: April 2017
Hours: All positions are part-time, hours TBD
Only eligible students can apply to a CBU Work Study Bursary position. If eligible send resume, cover letter and an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program to: firstname.lastname@example.org Submissions that do not include an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program will not be considered. All applications must also reference the above Job Number.
To determine eligibility and to complete an application go to: http://www.cbu.ca/come-to-cbu/tuition-finances/scholarships-bursaries/work-study-bursary-program/