Title: Fish Care Technician
Dr. Salazar’s research laboratory (TC-146) houses an indoor permanent small colony of tropical freshwater fish. As part of this fish colony, we have small aquaria with juveniles, adult breeders, and eggs and fry. The successful candidate will receive training to provide fish care weekly to maintain the quality of the tanks’ water, calibrate parameters to promote breeding, reared eggs and young, feed all fish, swap mates to maintain breeding, and maintain the live colonies of worms and brine shrimp used as fish food.
- Preferably BSc Science major
- Must like to work with live fish and worms
- Aquarium maintenance experience is a plus but it is not necessary
- Must know how to maintain & generate excel spreadsheets and have good attention to detail
- Must have good organizational skills and written/oral communication skills
- Animal care training and basic lab safety training will be provided
- Sample and record water chemistry parameters
- Perform acclimatization and rotation of breeders across breeding tanks
- Sample eggs and reared fry
- Feed all fish
- Maintain live worm and live brine shrimp colonies
- Clean tanks and filters
- Maintain logs and bookkeeping files and update standard operating procedures for fish care and handling
Hours: All positions are part-time, hours TBD
September Start/April End
After completing this position, the applicant will be:
- Proficient in basic physiology & reproductive behaviour of freshwater fish,
- Able to oversee all aspects of animal care protocols for breeding colonies of freshwater fish,
- Better equipped with organizational and bookkeeping skills,
- Able to develop standard operating procedures for animal care protocols, and
- Fully trained in lab safety and animal care and use policies and regulations.
Only eligible students can apply to a CBU Work Study Bursary position. If eligible send resume, cover letter and an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program to: firstname.lastname@example.org Submissions that do not include an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program will not be considered. All applications must also reference the above Job Number.
To determine eligibility and to complete an application go to: http://www.cbu.ca/come-to-cbu/tuition-finances/scholarships-bursaries/work-study-bursary-program/
Deadline for applications is Friday, September 14th, 2018.