The Cameron Zoological Museum is located on campus, and includes a wide range of biological specimens, including nests, stuffed specimens (study skins), preserved specimens, skeletons and skulls. It has expanded through acquisition and preparation by CBU faculty and students, and the donation of specimens from members of the public. The Curatorial Assistant will gain skills in basic museum techniques and will have an opportunity to creatively promote and display some of the specimens. The position provides experiential learning through the implementation of a specimen monitoring and management plan, the application of museum protocols, involvement with public outreach and creativity in science and art.
The candidate should possess:
- good organizational, communication and computer skills
- interest and aptitude in biology preferred (at least at the introductory level)
- desire to enhance their knowledge of Cape Breton species
The student will be assigned tasks including but not limited to:
- designing displays and promotional material
- maintaining and updating the digital catalogue of museum specimens
- assist in preparing educational material
- maintain museum specimens
- assist in assembly and disassembly of displays
- The student will work with faculty to develop displays that are both artistic and educational.
- The student will be responsible for updating and maintaining an inventory and digital catalog of specimens contained in our zoology museum.
- The student will monitor specimens using standard protocols when specimens used for teaching and promotional activities are returned.
Hours: All positions are part-time, hours TBD
The candidate will:
Acquire knowledge and skills for museum organization and maintenance.
Only eligible students can apply to a CBU Work Study Bursary position. To determine eligibility and to complete an application, go to:
If eligible, send resume, cover letter and an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program to: firstname.lastname@example.org Submissions that do not include an application to the CBU Work Study Bursary Program will not be considered. All applications must also reference the above Job Number.
Forward resume and cover letter to: email@example.com