Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Early Intervention Family Service Specialist – High Prairie
We are currently recruiting an Early Intervention Family Support Worker who works directly with families, youth and children in High Prairie, AB and the surrounding community. Working as the primary caseworker, they will counsel and provide therapeutic interventions under the Collaborative Service Delivery model, by coordinating family care teams to provide support and ensure best outcomes for families. Our program structure is one that our staff will become the compass point for the family and others involved in the case. The schedule is flexible. Evening and weekend work is required to accommodate families’ schedules.
- As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
Diploma in Social Services, Bachelor of Social work or similar education. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- 3 years experience working with families in a human or family services field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of therapeutic and intervention theories and the stages of child development;
- Excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills and interpersonal skills in order to work effectively with individuals and groups from a variety of diverse communities and to resolve conflict in an effective manner;
- Valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
- Strong understanding of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
- Valid CPR/First Aid and WHMIS
- Knowledge of aboriginal culture is an asset.
Working a flexible schedule, the Family Support Specialist will work regular office hours, as well as some evening & weekend hours, up to 40 hr/week. Flexibility during evenings & weekends is required in order to accommodate home visits and supervised visits when families are together & require the most support.
–Relocation assistance may be available for qualified candidates seeking new adventure in Northern Alberta–
- In Your Role You Will
Work with youth who need intervention and are at risk of suicide or harming themselves, or youth living a lifestyle that is considered high risk ( i.e. prostitution, drugs, etc)
- Compassionately use your knowledge of child development, positive discipline strategies and family dynamics to provide education (ex. parenting skills) and support services to families in their own homes.
- Establish trusting relationships with children and families, while assisting them in the development of interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills, and other areas of interest.
- Provide flexible and responsive client centered support to address children, youth, family or caregiver needs through individual program plans while respecting choices, decisions and needs of families.
- Provide individual and group counseling as appropriate.
- A key component of this position is supporting children and families to connect with resources and organizing ongoing service delivery with stakeholders.
- Collaborate and/or work as a team with community systems (i.e. school), specialized service providers, volunteers and extended family members.
- Conduct visits in the family home and/or community and be available for evening/weekend visits and/or on standby as required.
- Attend supervised visits with families that are involved with the Child and Family Services.
- Transport individuals or families as required.
- Accommodate and respect cultural, social and religious heritage.
- Liaise with Child and Family Services and other external agencies/professionals involved with families served.
- Attend regular meetings with contractors and community interagency meetings
- Promote the child and family related program services offered by the Lac La Biche Family Services Centre and develop initiatives to support children, youth and families.
- Follow up on closed case files to ensure continued family safety and implementation of individual program plans.
- Administrative duties including typing/filing reports, compiling monthly reports, etc.
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: High Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Position is 40 hours a week – 8 hours per day but must be flexible in order to accommodate home visits, supervised visits, and travel.
Number of Positions: 1
Compensation: $27.0000 – $31.0000 /Hour
Closing Date: 23/07/2018
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
WJS Canada’s mission is ‘Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services’. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family’s strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family’s belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visitwww.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy:
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.