Halifax Regional Police Human Resources is inviting students to apply for the HR Co-op Student placement. The HR Co-op student assists with a number of Human Resources initiatives including: recruitment, special projects, research and analysis, staffing issues and other tasks as they arise. This position is also responsible for administrative functions related to HR duties such as filing, photocopying, typing documents, etc. This position requires a team player with a high degree of initiative, customer service focused and good communication skills. This position is located at Police Headquarters, 1975 Gottingen Street, Halifax.
Education and Experience:
• Currently enrolled in a co-operative employment program at a recognized post-secondary institution, preferably with coursework completed in the field of Human Resources Management;
• Past experience working in an office environment with recruitment or other Human Resources experience considered an asset;
• Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and skills with email / calendar programs.
BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES: In addition to specific experience and knowledge necessary for the job, the ideal candidate will demonstrate strength in, but not limited to the following HRM competencies: Analytical Thinking, Achievement Motivation, Communication, Customer Service Orientation, Expertise, Flexibility, Initiative, Innovation, Listening and Responding, Organizational Awareness, Relationship Building, Teamwork & Cooperation and Valuing Diversity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist with recruitment of employees: screening applications, creating interview questions, scheduling interviews and/or testing, participating on the interview board and reference checking of candidates;
• Assist with creating, editing and finalizing written position descriptions;
• Conduct research and analysis on performance management and labour relations;
• Projects assigned by the HR staff;
• Administrative tasks such as filing, typing documents, and photocopying;
• Other projects and duties as required.
For more information or the apply for this co-op work term contact Jennifer Currie, 902-563-1196.
HOURS OF WORK: The hours of work are between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday for 35 hours per week. (15 – week work term)
SALARY: The hourly rate for this position $15.00
CLOSING DATE: applications will be received up to midnight October 30, 2017
NOTE: Candidates being considered for the position of HR Co-op Student must successfully meet the security clearance requirements administered by Halifax Regional Police, which include, but are not limited to, a pre-employment polygraph.