CAPE BRETON UNIVERSITY
STUDENT AFFAIRS PROJECTS ASSISTANT
Student Affairs is hiring a Co-op student to assist with various services and projects in both Career Services and the First-Year Advising Centre (FYAC).
The Student Affairs Projects Assistant will:
• Assist Career Services staff in the planning and delivery of services/events with the aim of developing experiential learning opportunities for CBU students.
• Assist FYAC staff in offering academic advising for incoming CBU students. The FYAC offers students the opportunity to meet one-on-one with an advisor to discuss their program and what courses they should take in their first year. The FYAC also provides information about CBU’s programs, policies, procedures and resources and, with the help of staff, students will create their class schedule for the upcoming year.
• Be eligible to enrol in the Co-op Option of an undergraduate program at CBU (programs eligible for this co-op position are: BBA, BA, BACS)
• be returning to CBU in September 2018;
• have a 75% average or higher;
• have strong organization and communication skills, with respect for confidentiality;
• exceptional computer/website development/social media and research skills;
• have a keen interest in helping new students get the best possible start to their time at CBU
Hours: 35 hours/week
Term: April 24 – September 6, 2018
- Increase student awareness of the Career Services Centre and its services /events through social media and in-person promotion
- Assist in the set-up and delivery of Student Services functions/events
- Updating website content and promotion of services and events
- Contributing to development and delivery of Co-curricular Record which will launch at CBU in September of 2018
- Assisting as needed with Career Services/Student Affairs functions
First Year Advising Center:
- Establish a warm, welcoming atmosphere in the FYAC
- Work independently and as part of the FYAC team
- Help students schedule advising appointments
- Greet incoming students and parents and keep the FYAC operating smoothly
- Maintain ongoing communication with the FYAC coordinator and academic advisors, and communicate as needed with faculty and School secretaries
- Assist with Orientation planning
- Teach students how to fit the courses they are taking into a schedule
- Teach students to navigate the CBU website, access their CBU webmail, access their student account, and complete their registration
- Answer phone and email inquiries about the FYAC and transfer student advising
- Complete various organizational tasks
Interested students should submit an application letter and resume along with academic transcripts (unofficial) and contact information of two (2) references to:
CBU Student Placement Officer Carly Turnbull firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. April 1, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note: this position requires that the successful applicant enrol in Co-op.