Job Placement Opportunity for Co-op Students
Parks Canada – Cape Breton Highlands National Park
Job Title: Visitor Experience Assistant
Job Location: Chéticamp and/or Ingonish, Nova Scotia (staff housing available, approx. $80/wk)
Rate of Pay: $13.68/hour (2014 rate – under review) Hours per week: 37.5
Work term: Sept 11, 2017 to December 29, 2017
As a member of Cape Breton Highlands National Park’s interpretation team, you will deliver programs and guided hikes to visitors about the park’s natural features & significance within the national parks system. Other duties include: assisting with special events; school field trips; computer work using various software; use of audio-visual equipment, assisting with product development.
To be eligible for the Co-op/Internship programs, you must:
- be recognized as having full-time student status by the academic institution in which you are presently enrolled.
- be enrolled in a CO-OP/Internship Program that has been approved as one from which Parks Canada may recruit with studies relevant to the position (including, but not limited to: biology, ecology or field sciences, education, interpretation, communication or theatre/performance).
- Be intending to return to an academic institution at the completion of your work term.
Preferred skills and experience:
- Knowledge of natural history and special features of Cape Breton Highlands National Park
- Knowledge of Canada’s national parks system
- Effective interpersonal communication and public presentation skills
- Demonstrate an advanced proficiency in both of Canada’s official languages
- Experience or knowledge in heritage interpretation, performing arts, natural history, biology, geology, ecology, and/or cultural history.
- Ability to read, comprehend and deliver messages/information to groups in face-to-face situations with the purpose of education, engagement, entertainment and/or motivation
- Ability to work alone or as part of a group
- Experience in Microsoft programs
Conditions of Employment:
- Valid class 5 driver’s license
- Security Screening: Obtain and maintain Reliability Status
- Willingness to wear a Parks Canada uniform when required.
- Willingness to work and/or travel in varied terrain, weather conditions, and isolated/remote locations.
- Willingness to Stand/walk/hike for prolonged periods (up to 20km + in a single day)
- Willingness to guide hikes in the evening and after dark
- Work from various locations.
- Travel extensively.
- Meet the physical demands of the job.
TO APPLY: Send completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application should include: Cover letter and resume that clearly outlines how you meet the job requirements and an unofficial course transcript (proof of enrolment in a PSC approved co-op/internship program).
Additional Information: Deadline to apply is Aug. 25th, 2017. Interviews will be conducted by phone.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact employer with any questions before applying.
Parks Canada thanks all those who apply. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information contact Miranda Dodd, email@example.com, 902-224-4226.