In 2017, Canadians across the country will celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary. Parks Canada sites on Cape Breton Island are defining features of Canada and provide communities and visitors with beauty, recreation, and a unique sense of history. Parks Canada plays a leadership role in the protection of these special places.
The Indigenous Student Heritage Interpreter is required to effectively communicate information, role-play, and read and understand interpretive presentations and historical references. Contacts are with visitors to convey messages, deliver presentations, and respond to visitor inquiries. The intent of this process is to hire two students from June to late August, 2017, to interpret indigenous heritage.
To be Eligible you must:
– have in-depth knowledge of Mi’kmaq culture and heritage
– be a full-time secondary or post-secondary student in an accredited institution
– be currently recognized as having full-time student status by the academic institution in which you are presently enrolled
-be returning to full-time studies in the next academic term
-the minimum age to work in the province where the job exists & under 30
This position is for all eligible students who have legal status to work in Canada. Please indicate in your application the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit.
The following may be considered assets but are not mandatory:
- Ability to speak mi’kmaq an asset
- Experience working in the field of indigenous tourism
- Familiarity with all five Mi’kmaq communities on Cape Breton Island
The student will be required to:
• To deliver messages/information to groups in face-to-face situations with the purpose of education, engagement, entertainment and/or motivation.
• Shares our vision;
• Makes things happen;
• Personally connect with people;
• Communicate effectively;
• Take responsibility;
To apply, please send resume and a cover letter demonstrating clearly how you meet the requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, March 31ST by 4pm. Please quote the following numbers:
Reference number (jobs.gc.ca): CAP17J-013569-000064
Selection process number: 2017-CAP-CBFU-FOL-SU-RM-OC-0029
Rate of Pay: $14.62 to $15.63
Must have possession of a valid class 5 driver’s license.
Must be willing to: work irregular hours, overtime, weekends and/or on statutory holidays, when required.
Must be willing to wear uniform or costume.
Must make moderate physical effort to sit and stand for prolonged periods.
Must be willing to be exposed to variable weather conditions.
Language Requirement: English Essential
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.