Cape Breton University is looking for someone special. Someone who relishes the idea of helping to create and promote an educational environment where students thrive. CBU is a unique place where students who believe that they can have an effect in the world discover exactly what that effect will be.
Yes, it’s exciting. And if you’re the person we’re looking for, you’re already thinking of ways that you can bring your energy to the team and help build the kind of place where people grow and flourish. You’re someone who cares not just about what students do at CBU, but what they do beyond it. Because what happens at Cape Breton University doesn’t just stay in Cape Breton, it resonates globally. If you can imagine yourself helping to make all this become a reality, please keep reading.
Reporting to the Office of the President, the Marketing & Communications Department exists to support initiatives, projects, campaigns and events designed to achieve student recruitment and retention goals. As a key group of brand champions, the Marketing & Communications team also plays an important role in raising the visibility, strengthening the reputation, managing the CBU brand, advancing the CBU narrative and extending the reach of CBU’s diverse and expanding mandate through clear, consistent, and constant marketing and communications to multiple audiences.
- Strong organizational skills
- Very Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with deadlines and multi-task on several projects
- An interest in and understanding of both the marketing and communications functions
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team environment and also independently
The Marketing and Communications Intern will work in a high energy, high paced environment to become a valued member of very diverse, dynamic team by participating and assisting in various projects and tasks ranging from communications and media planning to special event and social media support. This position reports to the Communications Manager, as well as the Marketing Manager, whom are both MSVU BPR grads.
- Working with the Marketing & Communications team on behalf of our internal clients including Recruitment, Fundraising/Alumni in several areas including, but not limited to, the development and writing of communications and media plans, news releases, recruitment and campus wide print pieces, web-based student and faculty profiles, stories, ad copy, web-based communication, video production and social media
- Assisting with written material for CBU’s bi-annual alumni magazine; Distinction
- Writing blogs, social content, and student profiles on behalf of Cape Breton University, following a content calendar
- Work on promotional campaigns for the next recruitment season, as well as the promotion of key recruitment events such as CBU Open House and CBU 101.
- Responsible for researching, data collecting, interviewing, editing, presentation support, preparing media kits and other projects
- Research social media best practices and assist with managing the University’s social media presence including, but not limited to, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.
- Write and edit compelling marketing content such as site copy, blog posts, ad copy, emails, etc.
Dates: September – December 2018
Salary: $15/hour (35 hours/week)
Location: Sydney, NS
To Apply: If you are interested in this position please send a copy of your cover letter and resume to Student Placement Officer, Jennifer Currie: email@example.com
Deadline: Tuesday, July 3rd, 2018
Here’s What a Past Co-op Student Had to Say About Us
“Spending four months in the Marketing and Communications department was such an important experience for my future. I learned new skills, had the opportunity to run my own projects, met so many new people and caught a real glimpse of ‘behind the scenes’ life at CBU. As a student, I really felt like I was a part of the team and that my opinion was valued. I’m proud to graduate from CBU with real life job experience that my internship provided me and would recommend the department to any student interested in a future in marketing and communications! “~ Elizabeth Arsenault, BBA Co-op Student (CBU)