JOB TITLE: Environment, Chemical & Safety Technician/ Technologist Co-op or Developmental Student – Summer 2017
LOCATION: Renfrew, Ontario
STATUS: Co-op or Developmental Student – Summer 2017 (May – August 2017)
EDUCATION LEVEL: Minimum completion of first year
TRAVEL: Yes – 20% Travel
DEADLINE TO APPLY: February 20, 2017
GENERATE a future of possibilities
As one of North America’s leading electricity producers, Ontario Power Generation offers challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value – and where you can realize your personal and professional goals.
Working with our high performing Environment Support Department, headquartered in Renfrew, the successful candidate will engage in a number of work programs related to the safe & environmentally responsible operation of hydroelectric power generation stations. These facilities are located throughout the Ottawa and Madawaska River basins. The co-op position’s focus will be integration of Aboriginal Traditional Knowledge and science within Algonquin Traditional Territory, especially as related to Kichisippi Pimisi [American Eel] and Namé [Lake Sturgeon] biodiversity studies.
We are searching for an enthusiastic Environment, Chemical and Safety Technician/Technologist student who has completed a minimum of 1 year(s) and will be returning to university or college (full time) upon completion of this work term or requires one final work term to graduate.
Preference may be given to the candidate who has the following skills and qualifications:
- Awareness, appreciation and insight with respect to Traditional Algonquin knowledge, specifically as it relates to Algonquin Traditional Territory.
- An understanding of and an ability to bridge the gap between scientific and Aboriginal Traditional knowledge.
- A developing knowledge of environmental sciences.
- Full time student in a college or university program, in a technical and/or environmental program.
- This placement may involve some travel. A valid “G2” driver’s license is required. Ready access to a vehicle would be an asset.
As the successful candidate, you may have the opportunity to assist in a variety of work assignments which may include:
- Provide technical expertise in the areas of chemical, environmental and safety issues as they relate to the workplace, including workplace hazards. Interpret environmental and health and safety legislation and chemical and waste management as it affects the workplace.
- Assist line management in the implementation of local and corporate programs relative to environmental legislation, waste management, emergency preparedness and response plans, and health and safety issues. Collect, compile and assess information as necessary to prepare reports.
- Accountable for the health, safety and well being of self, in accordance with technical/ operating procedures and standards, and includes the development of technical/operating solutions to problems.
NOTE: All students applying for student positions at OPG must be returning to full-time studies upon completion of their work term. Exceptions will be made for students who require a work term in order to graduate. You will be required to show an OPG hiring manager your transcript, should you be invited to an interview. You must be eligible to work in Canada.
- We hire dozens of students each term, and we work hard to keep them challenged and provide learning opportunities. In fact, many of our students return for a second term because the OPG experience is so valuable. So tell us what areas you’re interested in and we’ll tell you what you can accomplish in the months you’re with us, while you enjoy networking with your peers in a flex-time and business-casual work environment!
- OPG supports the principles and practices of diversity: In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Power Generation’s Accessibility Standard, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known by contacting us in advance.
- OPG sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In the event you are invited for an interview, please note you will be required to provide transcripts. If you receive an interview, please notify the hiring manager of any accommodations you may require for the selection process.
- Your school requires a separate application through their own CBU CO-OP OPTION process, please contact email@example.com CBU Student Placement Officer for more information.
- You are still required to apply at our staffing website http://www.mypowercareer.com. OPG will only consider applications submitted to our website. Please apply on-line only at www.mypowercareer.com, no later than midnight, February 20, 2017.