Title of Position
Junior Economist/Policy Analyst, Economic Policy and Research Group, Directorate of Economic Analysis & Statistics, Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO)
The co-op student will be working in the Economic Policy and Research Group on assigned projects in support of our team of economists and policy analysts. The successful candidate will provide support on statistical and economic data and policy analysis in relation to fisheries, oceans conservation, seafood trade, and habitat management issues. Examples of work from our team can be found here.
The ideal candidate is numerical with excellent writing skills. Students with a background in economics, statistics, environmental management, natural resource policies, and/or other social sciences with an emphasis on quantitative economic analysis are encouraged to apply.
The position is based in Downtown Ottawa for 4 months with the possibility of extension. The salary range is listed here on the Treasury Board Secretariat Student Rates of Pay (Section 3).
The experiences can be gained through a combination of academic, professional and/or volunteer work experiences. Please clearly indicate the context within which you obtained each type of experience.
- Experience in policy analysis
- Experience working with databases
- Experience participating on projects and/or working groups
- Experience in economic, statistics and/or social science research methodology
- Knowledge of spreadsheets and database programs, including MS Excel
- Knowledge of economic, international trade, environmental and/or resource management issues related to the mandate of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Analytical thinking
- Oral communication
- Writing skills
- Ability to work independently
- Interpersonal skills
- Canadian citizenship required
To apply, send resume and cover letter to:
Economic Policy | Politique économique
Economic Analysis and Statistics | Analyses économiques et statistiques