The Cape Breton Partnership was formed in 2004 with an aim of instilling ownership, confidence and pride to enhance prosperity in Cape Breton and Mulgrave. The Partnership is dedicated to developing a united approach to addressing economic issues and growth opportunities within the region, while also encouraging the retention and expansion of existing companies by identifying barriers and ways to remove them. The Partnership seeks to increase economic prosperity by mobilizing the energy, expertise, and resources of both the private and public sector.
The Cape Breton Partnership is recruiting a Communications and Marketing Assistant. Reporting to the Communications and Marketing Coordinator, you will assist with the following duties:
- Daily media monitoring: With close to 200 Investors, the Partnership believes that their news is our news. Keeping up to date on the daily news cycle is vitally important to how the Partnership functions and provides direction on how we can be prepared to act, whether it be by sharing those news stories or taking a proactive approach on any issues we foresee.
- Writing and Editing: While working at the Partnership, you will be exposed to many different styles of writing. When dealing with Investors, our Board of Directors, and all levels of government, you will be responsible for various types of correspondence such as, media notices, media releases, speaking notes, and backgrounders. You will also have the opportunity to create your own original content for our business publication, Elevate Magazine.
- Website Maintenance: The Partnership is preparing to launch our new website that will reflect our refreshed brand. You will be responsible for uploading content and ensuring that all of the information on the website is either up to date or correctly archived. The website is built on a WordPress platform, so you will become very comfortable and competent on how to use the backend of this program by the time you finish your work term. You will have an opportunity to develop a new web strategy to help the Partnership share good news stories and promote business in Cape Breton and Mulgrave.
- Special Events Planning: In your role with the Partnership you will have the opportunity to plan, manage, promote, and perform on-site logistics for a diverse range of events. Events can include luncheons, business round tables, networking sessions, conferences, information sessions, and symposiums. You will be responsible for helping the Partnership team make each event a success through promotion, developing key messages and various planning, and other support functions that are required.
- Social Media: You will be given the responsibility of managing the Partnership’s Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts throughout your work term. After gaining the initial experience of managing the social media accounts you will have to create and implement a social media plan for the Partnership that will be utilized to expand the organization’s network and online reach.
- Additional Opportunities: Region wide networking, media relations, Investor relations, stakeholder management, strategic planning, as well as the promotion and marketing of the Cape Breton Partnership brand and other investor brands.
Qualifications: Bachelor of Public Relations or BA with Communication or BBA with Marketing Major
Dates: September 4, 2017 to December 15, 2017
Salary: $15 per hour + 4% vacation pay
Location: Sydney, Baddeck, or Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia
Please send your cover letter and resume by email to by 4pm on Monday, July 31:
Communications & Marketing Coordinator