Cape Breton University is looking for someone special. Someone who relishes the idea of helping to create and promote an educational environment where students don’t just go, they Happen. CBU is a unique place where students who believe that they can have an effect in the world discover exactly what that effect will be.
Yes, it’s exciting. And if you’re the person we’re looking for, you’re already thinking of ways that you can bring your energy to the team and help build the kind of place where people Happen. You’re someone who cares not just about what students do at CBU, but what they do beyond it. Because what happens at Cape Breton University doesn’t just stay in Cape Breton, it resonates globally. If you can imagine yourself helping to make all this Happen, please keep reading.
Reporting to the Office of the President, the Marketing & Communications Department exists to support initiatives, projects, campaigns and events designed to achieve student recruitment and retention goals. As a key group of brand champions, the Marketing & Communications team also plays an important role in raising the visibility, strengthening the reputation, managing the CBU brand, advancing the CBU narrative and extending the reach of CBU’s diverse and expanding mandate through clear, consistent, and constant marketing and communications to multiple audiences.
The Communications and Public Relations Intern will work in a high energy, high paced environment to become a valued member of very diverse, dynamic team by participating and assisting in various projects and tasks ranging from communications and media planning to special event and social media support. This position reports to both the Marketing Project Manager and the Communications and Public Relations Manager.
Qualifications: Marketing or Communication Co-op Student
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with deadlines and multi-task on several projects
- An interest in and understanding of special events
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team environment and also independently
- Working with the Marketing & Communications team on behalf of our internal clients including Recruitment, Fundraising/Alumni in several areas including, but not limited to, the development and writing of communications and media plans, news releases, recruitment and campus wide print pieces, web-based student and faculty profiles, stories, ad copy, web-based communication/fundraising projects, fundraising campaigns, alumni communication, special events support, video production and social media
- Assisting with written material for: CBU’s bi-annual alumni magazine; Distinction, blogging, profiles for web, marketing and communications materials, etc.
- Responsible for researching, data collecting, interviewing, editing, presentation support, preparing media kits and other projects
Dates: May to August 2017
Salary: $15/hour (35 hours/week)
Deadline: January 26, 2016
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Here’s What a Past Co-op Student Had to Say About Us
“Spending four months in the Marketing and Communications department was such an important experience for my future. I learned new skills, had the opportunity to run my own projects, met so many new people and caught a real glimpse of ‘behind the scenes’ life at CBU. As a student, I really felt like I was a part of the team and that my opinion was valued. I’m proud to graduate from CBU with real life job experience that my internship provided me and would recommend the department to any student interested in a future in marketing and communications! “~ Elizabeth Arsenault, BBA Co-Op Student (CBU)