The Cape Breton Partnership was formed in 2004 with an aim of instilling ownership, confidence and pride to enhance prosperity in Cape Breton and Mulgrave. The Partnership is dedicated to developing a united approach to addressing economic issues and growth opportunities within the region, while also encouraging the retention and expansion of existing companies by identifying barriers and ways to remove them. The Partnership seeks to increase economic prosperity by mobilizing the energy, expertise, and resources of both the private and public sector.
Qualifications: Bachelor of Business Administration with a Major in Marketing and Communications
The Cape Breton Partnership is recruiting a Communications and Marketing Assistant. Reporting to the Communications and Marketing Coordinator, you will assist with the following duties:
- Daily media monitoring: With close to 200 Investors, the Partnership believes that their news is our news. Keeping up to date on the daily news cycle is vitally important to how the Partnership functions and provides direction on how we can be prepared to act, whether it be by sharing those news stories or taking a proactive approach on any issues we foresee.
- Writing and Editing: While working at the Partnership, you will be exposed to many different styles of writing. When dealing with Investors, our Board of Directors, and all levels of government, you will be responsible for various types of correspondence such as, media notices, media releases, speaking notes, and backgrounders. You will also have the opportunity to create your own original content for our business publication, Elevate Magazine.
- Website Maintenance: The Partnership is preparing to launch our new website that will reflect our refreshed brand. You will be responsible for uploading content and ensuring that all of the information on the website is either up to date or correctly archived. The website is built on a WordPress platform, so you will become very comfortable and competent on how to use the backend of this program by the time you finish your work term. You will have an opportunity to develop a new web strategy to help the Partnership share good news stories and promote business in Cape Breton and Mulgrave.
- Special Events Planning: In your role with the Partnership you will have the opportunity to plan, manage, promote, and perform on-site logistics for a diverse range of events. Events can include luncheons, business round tables, networking sessions, conferences, information sessions, and symposiums. You will be responsible for helping the Partnership team make each event a success through promotion, developing key messages and various planning, and other support functions that are required.
- Social Media: You will be given the responsibility of managing the Partnership’s Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts throughout your work term. After gaining the initial experience of managing the social media accounts you will have to create and implement a social media plan for the Partnership that will be utilized to expand the organization’s network and online reach.
- Additional Opportunities: Region wide networking, media relations, Investor relations, stakeholder management, strategic planning, as well as the promotion and marketing of the Cape Breton Partnership brand and other investor brands.
Please send your cover letter and resume on or before March 2 at 10 a.m. by email to Student Placement Officer, Jennifer Currie: email@example.com
Successful Applicant should expect a written test along with their interview.
Dates: May 7, 2018 to August 24, 2018
Salary: $15 per hour + 4% vacation pay
I completed my co-op work term with the Cape Breton Partnership while completing my Bachelor of Business Administration degree at Cape Breton University and I can honestly say it was one of the best working experiences I have had to date. At the Partnership you are an equal member of the team where you are encouraged to share your ideas and opinions. The opportunity to work and learn from the dynamic Partnership team enabled me to develop invaluable skills that I still use today.
From my first day at the Partnership I was able to actively participate in event planning, writing, editing, media relations, and Investor relations. One of my main projects while working at the Partnership was writing and editing articles and features for their publication Elevate Magazine. This project gave me the opportunity to meet and network with individuals in the local business community and beyond.
The skills that I learned while working at the Partnership prompted me to continue my education in the marketing and communications field by enrolling in the Advanced Diploma in Public Relations program at NSCC.
Bachelor of Business Administration ‘16