Summer Co-op Position: Assistant Coordinator, VON Cape Breton Metro: Community Support Program
Location: Sydney, N.S.
VON Cape Breton Metro is one of 30 VON Community Corporations across Canada.
VON Community Corporations are charitable, not-for-profit corporations that act as the voice of VON Canada in their local communities. They work in partnership with VON Canada staff to build relationships with community members, agencies and other health and social advocates. They also help identify the community’s strengths and unmet health care and social support needs and as well as potential solutions. They raise funds, promote and help fund charitable programs and advocate for the community and VON Canada.
The role of these local organizations, guided by principles of primary healthcare, is to work in partnership with residents and other service providers for healthier communities through:
• Leadership and creativity in community based care
• Support for innovative client centered health and social services
• Influence and advocacy for health and community service priorities.
• Fund development to support local VON programs and initiatives
• Enrolled in Co-op Option with Cape Breton University
• Strong research skills
• Interest in working with the elderly in a social environment
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work as a member of a team
• Ability to problem solve and analyze information
• Valid NS drivers license
Hours and rate of pay: 37.5 hrs/week, $15/hour
Term: 15 weeks, May-August 2017
This position will include assisting the Coordinator of Community Support/Volunteer Services with day to day activities, including program development, promotion, program information updates, taking client calls and referrals, redirecting referrals to other appropriate agencies, data entry, chart audits and other office related duties.
• Assist with assessment of clients for services, and to complete home visits to match volunteers with clients when appropriate
• Assist with recruiting, training, scheduling and managing the volunteers who deliver programs
• Assist with the organization and delivery of education sessions for volunteers on a wide range of topics related to client care
• Participate in various volunteer appreciation events throughout the year
• Work collaboratively with the Community Corporation Board
• Assist with the development and delivery of presentations in regards to VON’s community support programs and volunteering
• Assist with the assessment of community needs, with a focus on seniors issues, to determine, plan and implement new programs and services
• Assist with raising funds to support the charitable work of Community Support Services, including major giving, planned giving, annual appeals and donor stewardship
• Assist with planning and management of VON’s fundraising events
• Responsible for research for a transportation program for seniors in the community
Interested students should submit an application letter and resume to:
Student Placement Officer
Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. March 31, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.