The Environmental Field Assistant will be an integral part of stream restoration and community-based water monitoring projects. The Assistant will help enhance stream habitat through hands-on stream restoration work and repair of culverts impeding fish passage. In addition to restoration, they will assist with monitoring activities including stream habitat assessment, culvert assessment, and electro-fishing.
The Assistant will act as a mentor to community members participating in our water-quality monitoring program. The student will help to promote the project, as well as provide guidance in the use of water monitoring equipment, sampling protocols, and data collection for community volunteers. This position will offer students both a broad learning experience as well as introduction to specific job-related skills.
- Assist with training events and provide one-on-one mentoring for volunteers
- Labour and monitoring activities, including stream restoration, culvert assessment, culvert repair, and electro-fishing
- Collect, enter, and organize data in database software
- Keep equipment in good working order and ensure it is stored safely
- Help organize, promote, and facilitate events
- Work with a team of students to accomplish tasks
- Rate of pay: $12/hr
- Hours/week: 35
- Duration: 14 weeks (Approx. May 15 to August 18)